Formatting Question

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
With todays large (+200GB) hard drives, how do you format them? Even Partition Magic is only good for 89GB.

Thanks,

Bozo :mrgrn:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
PM V.8 does 160GB partitions. http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm

Anyway, on my 160GB drive I created 2 9GB partitions which I use to occasionally back up the partitions on my X-15. After hiding those, I split the remaining space into 2 71GB data partitions. So far, I haven't needed the second data partition so I use it to back up the first one (I know it doesn't guard against disk failures but it does guard against human error). The first data space is about full, though, so the second one will cease being a backup localtion shortly. I'm not sure if I'll merge it in or live with them as separate partitions. At the moment I'm leaning towards leaving them separate.

- Fushigi

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks,
I have Partition Magic 8. Only problem is I need a very large partition, aroung 250GB or more. The PC I'm building will have two, 250GB hard drives for data storage plus a 40GB drive for the OS.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The Windows 2000 Disk Manager utility chokes on 120GB drives.

While searching Western Digital's site, I found software to install large drives. Apparently, you need the hard drive manufacturers software to install these huge hard drives. They also recommend a controller card like the Promise Ultra100 to avoid BIOS problems. They have drivers for the operating systems too.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
PM7 works fine for drives up to 250 GB; I have not tried the 300 GB drive since it is on backorder. I assume that PM8 would work as well. PowerQuest lists the maximum drive capacities that have been validated to work with PM, not necessarily the largest drives that will work. ;)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
without using translation software, to format a large (> 137GB - manufacturer speak) drive under Windows 98, 2000, XP you need -

1. A hard drive controller that supports 40-bit LBA & A software driver for the hardware that supports 40-bit LBA (this is the kicker), and

2. An operating system that supports large drives.

Large drive support is available with Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows XP SP1, vided you add a registry key. Time to get slipstreaming. I am unsure of how and when 98SE supports large drives, but with all the updates applied, it appears to do so (I multi-boot at home with 2000, XP and 98SE - and 98SE is working with a large drive).

Addressing point 1, most integrated IDE devices (Intel, VIA, SiS, NVIDIA) are 40-bit enabled, but, they all use the default MS IDE driver when installing from CDROM - and this isn't 40-bit enabled. When you go to partition the drive, the largest partition you will see (can create) is 128GB (137GB manufacturer speak). Bugger!

I got around this by using a Promise Ultra 100 which with the latest BIOS and drivers has both 40-bit LBA BIOS and a software driver that adds support for large drives.

If there was an updated MS software IDE driver, or manufacturers had such driver such as the add on card people make, things would be much easier.

Ghost 7.0x will allow you to create large partitions BTW.

The trick is that the OS must be large drive enabled before you access the drive, or installed on a partition that resides wholly in the area less than 128GB whilst you update it to SP3 (W2K), SP1 (XP) or whatever you need to enable large drive support.

More info:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...nQ9MzEmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT04MSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

including links to MS articles on registry modifications.

jatuhan

What is this storage?
hard drive formatting

LiamC
You seems to be the person I am looking for with the problem I have.

First I have a PII 300Mhz system with 6Gb hdd 160Mb memory& w98se.

I purchased a 80Gb external hdd connect with fire wire.
I used fdisk and after partitiong it reports only 12Gb. If you said it should at least see 128Gb can you tell me if the fdisk need upgrading?

Let me at the same time post the rest of the problems I am having and hopefully you can help me, here goes;

I am certain to have found a forum that can solve my problem.
I have an external 80Gb hdd connected thru firewire to my laptop and after partitioning the system says I have only 12 Gb
My plan was to have10 Gb primary and the rest (70Gb)ext with 5 or more logical drives.
First I assign the sizes with real numbers, but that limits me to only 10Gb prim. and 2Gb for extended. So I deleted the partitions and start over again but now when assigning partition size I used %'s and that seems to work because now it sees al the individual drives so I can utilize the full 80Gb.

The next story is as follows; so I have one primary of 10Gb and 6 logical drives of variuos sizes, and I like to image my laptop to this external drive on one of the logical drives.
Running ghost 2003 I select the basic backup and when instructed to select the destination drive I select lets say driveJ
I got the following error message;
"The image is on a drive that is not recognized. Select an image on a different drive or restart the comp. and try again"

However if I try drive E or F it accepts but not the rest.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Re: hard drive formatting

jatuhan said:
First I have a PII 300Mhz system with 6Gb hdd 160Mb memory& w98se.
My sincere condolences.

jatuhan said:
I purchased a 80Gb external hdd connect with fire wire.
I used fdisk and after partitiong it reports only 12Gb.

By purchasing a firewire drive, I believe you bypassed all bios and IDE controller limits. So I believe your problem to be with the version of fdisk you are using. You might try downloading a bootdisk from the web for WindowsME which would have an updated fdisk. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm links to an updated fdisk for win98se and offers several boot disks for download.

jatuhan said:
Ghost 2003 ...J.. "The image is on a drive that is not recognized. Select an image on a different drive or restart the comp. and try again"

For this I'd suggest searching symantecs site.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
For your fdisk-ing, try working with the drive sizes in terms of percentages of the total, rather than the real numbers.. That's a known bug in 98's fdisk for drives over 64GB.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
It seems that Jatuhan tried the percent method and the drives were created. However, it now comes down to accessing drives beyond drive letter F with Ghost 2003 where the problem begins.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Jatuhan,

there are others way cleverer than me on this board but thanks for the compliment.

12GB is an odd number, but it may be because of this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263045&Product=w98

If so, there is a hotfix available from Microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;263044

The answer to why Ghost only see's the first two partitions is because they are he only ones that are properly "seen" - maybe.

If the above doesn't work, can you post

Mobo manufacturer and BIOS - have you updated it? Can you update it?

Name of manufacturer of FireWire controller. Have you updated to the latest drivers for your FireWire controller?

Make and model of hard drive. Are you using any disk translation software?

HTH