Forum moved and upgraded

Handruin

Administrator
I spent some time moving the forum to my other VPS server to consolidate all websites to a single system. This is also on a newer OS with a bunch of other newer components under the covers. In order to make this work there were a bunch of things I had to change that I wasn't expecting.

Once DNS finishes propagating the new IP address I will work to enable SSL for the site now that I'm on an OS that supports Let's Encrypt. There might be unexpected errors or problems with this migration so please let me know so I can sort them out.

A

atester

Have some more...

Attachments

• 20181224_194137.jpg
    20181224_194137.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20181224_194207.jpg
    20181224_194207.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20181224_200014.jpg
    20181224_200014.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 3

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My old posts have a 2 below the user name and the new ones "I can't believe I'm a." The Fixture part is gone.

Handruin

Administrator
My old posts have a 2 below the name and the new one a "I can't believe I'm a." The Fixture part is gone.

I've corrected the number value of 2 by manually going into the database and changing it to your custom title of "I can't believe I'm a". I was searching to see if it's possible to have the custom title and the "ladder" title which is based on post count but so far I'm not able to find a way to display both. If you want to see "Fixture" you will need to remove your custom title in you profile.

Handruin

Administrator
I've now enabled SSL for storageforum.net. What a pain in the ass that was to figure out why Let's Encrypt would not work...it was because this domain is configured with IPv6 by having AAAA records but the web server (nginx) not serving up requests for IPv6. Certbot from Let's Encrypt will use IPv6 if the AAAA record resolves....ugh.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like the certificate scan rating is good.

Attachments

• TLS_security_scan.jpg
    TLS_security_scan.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 5

Handruin

Administrator
No problem. I know I've neglected this for far too long. This will help reduce my own costs now that I can turn off the extra VPS instance $(240/year). That was entirely my own doing and not a complaint...I just should have moved us a long time ago but kept putting it off.

Handruin

Administrator
Hopefully this forum software doesn't drive you too crazy using it.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks really good.

Can you please double check the edit time for posts, I seem to be able to edit really old posts...

I've changed the edit timeout to 60 minutes. Let me know if you're still able to edit posts older than 60 minutes.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Looks really good.

Can you please double check the edit time for posts, I seem to be able to edit really old posts...

I actually like being able to edit posts a few days after the posting date to fix errors or update facts. It's not like the regular posters here will alter their OP (after the original was quoted) for malicious purposes.

LunarMist

I keep seeing that my post was yesterday, but that can't be correct.

LunarMist

I actually like being able to edit posts a few days after the posting date to fix errors or update facts. It's not like the regular posters here will alter their OP (after the original was quoted) for malicious purposes.

That is fine if the earlier post is still viewable in the revision history section.

Stereodude

Not really a
Can we change the titles under our usernames? I see they're carry over from vbb, but I don't see anywhere in my profile to change it and they don't make much sense without the prior ranks we got based on post count.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Looks fantastic! It was rather jarring for me to load this site up and have it look so dramatically different, though honestly it's not a bad difference.

Handruin

Administrator
Can we change the titles under our usernames? I see they're carry over from vbb, but I don't see anywhere in my profile to change it and they don't make much sense without the prior ranks we got based on post count.

If you click on your name at the top which will take you to your Account Details, is there a field for "Custom Title:"? I see one on my account but maybe that's because of being in the admin group. If you don't see it, let me know and I'll look into enabling it.

custom title.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Actually I just found the option and enabled it...so if you didn't see it before, you may see it now. Let me know.

LunarMist

The emobicons are rather limited and don't display in the older posts. Is there any way to add them back?

Handruin

Administrator
I'll look into it. I'm guessing they did not port over during the import from vbulletin. I can look into adding additional emoticons for this forum software.

LunarMist

What does the message below mean? I see it every once in a while.

504 Gateway Time-out
nginx/1.8.0

Handruin

Administrator
This site now uses the web server engine known as nginx which is what is producing the message.

I'm not entirely sure other than the literal mention of the web server timing out while functioning as a gateway/proxy. Do you have any more context of how you encountered it. I haven't yet seen this so I'm curious if it's a link in the forum that's not working or is it randomly when you visit the site. If you can give me a rough timeframe I can look in the server logs.

LunarMist

I didn't notice if the message occurred within the site or just entering it, but it only happened for few seconds.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm guessing these didn't convert because the YouTube video display in vbulletin was an add-on for us. I see how the new format looks so I'll try to find a way to update the older posts to the new format which should correct this.