Forum upgrade - question about CMS and blog features

Handruin

Administrator
I know we're primarily a forum and not a source of news publishing, etc, but would there be any interest in adding the CMS and blog feature of vbulletin to our website? A long time back I know CougTek helped us with publishing news in the half-baked setup we used, but the success/failure may just have been a combination of poor implementation and lack of interest.

Anyway, back to my question. Would either of those features be of benefit to us? I know there have been a few key threads used for things like useful apps or useful tips in cleaning up a bug-ridden setup in the toolbox section. I believe those are the two I can think of that Mercutio setup and contributes to. Would these be enhanced by a blog post in any way?

I ask because if I'm going to perform an upgrade to our forum software, it's cheaper to get the combined package of both pieces of software than to piece it together later. I'm not pushing for features we don't need, but would like to hear opinions either for or against.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't know if it's necessary or not. I suspect that we would all continue to use the forum as a forum regardless. When we had the news site, I still chose to land on the forum page and go look and/or comment on news as something secondary to the forum. I guess it might be nice to have posts that wind up having a lot of article-like content but even when the option exists, how much would we really use it?

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know if it's necessary or not. I suspect that we would all continue to use the forum as a forum regardless. When we had the news site, I still chose to land on the forum page and go look and/or comment on news as something secondary to the forum. I guess it might be nice to have posts that wind up having a lot of article-like content but even when the option exists, how much would we really use it?

It likely is not necessary for this, but wanted to see if there was interest in trying anything different and seeing if there were thoughts of adding value. I agree that people will continue to use the forum as a forum, and hope that to be the case. I'll let this thread go for a bit and see if anyone has any thoughts or additional suggestions on it. Again, I'm not trying to push something we don't need, but if there is some value in it, I wanted to consider it.