Forums sluggish

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah, it's not any better today. I've been watching for the last hour and the site has been unresponsive. I opened ticket for this last night and I added to it today. They seemed to login to the server and did something, but it's not completely fixed.

I'm getting tired of the reliability....

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Doug,

Have you considered moving the site to Pair or another more reliable provider? What kind of contract do you have with the current provider? I will be in the market for a provider in the next couple weeks like we had talked about before.

Tim

Handruin

Administrator
Pair.net seems to have a good reputation, but they also have a very restricted policy for database usage and other areas.

"Each individual database is allotted up to 20MB (megabytes) of disk space. Extra disk usage within reason is allowed, and pair Networks reserves the right to charge for over-usage. "

We wouldn't be able to host with them because our database is 59MB.

Even if I could get over their database usage limit, I'd still have a problem because they limit the amount of time any script can run. Because of this, it wouldn't be easy to backup the database.

timwhit, I can still host your site if you want, but I would want to wait until I can get this performance issue dealt with. Last thing I want to do is provide you with a slow hosting. :-?

Handruin

Administrator
Swordfish - Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:02:07 GMT - High loads resolved
The high loads were caused by a ressource intensive account, which got suspended in order to fix this issue.

I guess we'll see if this fixes the issue. The site has seemed a little better to me so far.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yep...its quite responsive again. Now we just have to drum up some interesting topics on the computer board.

Handruin

Administrator
Just looking for more feedback. Has the forum been ok for the past week since they fixed the issue? I've noticed a large improvement, but I want to hear from others since I can't visit every hour. ;)

Just a quick side note about our current environment. I discovered something the other day that actually cleared up an issue I was having. From time to time you may notice the site is working fine, then all the sudden you can't get to anything for about 30 seconds. This happens randomly and not set time.

The reason is that since we are part of a reseller environment, that every time someone on this sever creates a new account for a customer, apache has to be restarted quickly. This causes a brief interruption that lasts for about 30-40 seconds. I notice this the other day when I created an acount...while I was waiting for the script, I couldn't access SF...

I hope everything is running ok so far. I've been watching the CPU loads and they are now in the 1 - 2 range in TOP.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Singificantly faster/better. It is slow once in a while, but only for a few seconds. A very measurable change, thanks Doug.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
the site's been running great for me... 30 seconds to restart apache? wow.. glad my computer isn't that slow or my server just doesn't have that much work to do while loading...

that was one thing that bugged me about apache, whenever you make a change to the basic config you are requred to restart apache. (although on my system that takes under 2 seconds using a script)

I wonder if setting up dynamic vhosts would solve their problem.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know what is going on right now (or more likely what is now happening on the server), but it is wicked fast.