Freak wet-sand the north bridge of his nForce2 mainboard.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Dumb ass. For things this uneven there are thermal pastes with silver which are ten times better than the normal silicon oxide pastes. Besides that, you're only dealing with a few watts on a fairly large surface area. The clue here is that there is no metal slug on top of the IC package like there is with high thermal output chips like processors. No need to worry about exacting flatness, and it seems his adhoc methods won't produce that anyway. Why didn't he just use a bigger passive heatsink instead of a %$#&!@# fan? :x Using a fan on a northbridge is just retarded. The small, high RPM fans blow less air than a dragonfly.

I've spent way less time getting heatsinks for thermoelectric modules flat, and here it is important as you're dealing with 100+ watts on an area of about 2.5 in². I use plain old thermal grease and get good results(surface flatness is better than 0.001" by my estimate).

The guy didn't even do any before and after comparisons of his maximum FSB speed. His mod probably wouldn't have made much difference any way.

About the only positive thing he really accomplished, at least from Mercutio's point of view, is sanding off the nVidia logo.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That is undoubtedly a postive, but here's to hoping the moron in question removes himself from the gene pool in a spectacular fashion just the same.

"And now I'm gonna liquid cool my laptop with my bathwateBZZZZT."

Common sense: Something that keeps us from doing more work than we have to. Anyone care to guess how much of it that guy had?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Common sense: Something that keeps us from doing more work than we have to. Anyone care to guess how much of it that guy had?

Well, I'm sure the sense was common to him, just not to anyone else.