Fun with Windows Office 2007

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I just had a fun experience with W02007.
I was screwing around installing a ram disk, and put the IE 8 cache folder on the Ram drive.
As close as I can tell, WO uses that same folder for storing temp files. The drive filed up, and I was unable to save anything in WO.
I had to go into the registry, point WO off the non-existent Z drive, and back to the C drive temp folder. FUN.

Took a bit of digging to find stuff on this problem.

gs

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm sure he did, but in this post he sounds like some of the less clueful folks I help, e.g.
"What version of Windows do you have?"
"It has Word!"
"Um..."
"2003 Word!"

Handruin

Administrator
I read the words fun and office and couldn't believe this to be truth, so I came to investigate and found info on using a ram disk with IE 8. I didn't know people still used IE!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's not OpenOffice.
It's not Office 2000.
It's not Google's documents.
It's not Office: mac 2011.

Handruin:

I use IE on rare situations. Usually when the Adobe plug-ins don't work with either
Firefox, or IE 64, I find the 32 bit IE will work to play certain content.

By default it seems, when people write instructions on how to use Ram disks, they
include moving the cache for IE. Figured might as well try it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's not OpenOffice.
It's not Office 2000.
It's not Google's documents.
It's not Office: mac 2011.

Handruin:

I use IE on rare situations. Usually when the Adobe plug-ins don't work with either
Firefox, or IE 64, I find the 32 bit IE will work to play certain content.

By default it seems, when people write instructions on how to use Ram disks, they
include moving the cache for IE. Figured might as well try it.

Mercutio

I read the words fun and office and couldn't believe this to be truth, so I came to investigate and found info on using a ram disk with IE 8. I didn't know people still used IE!

I think the word "fun" in the headline might also be inaccurate, since no one in the history of time has ever had fun with Office. ;)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think the word "fun" in the headline might also be inaccurate, since no one in the history of time has ever had fun with Office. ;)

I was playing with Fedora 12 on my laptop prior to typing that. Need to distinguish
WindowsO2007 vs. Linux OpenOffice 2007?;-)

Also keep in mind I revert, after such stuff to the old mac days when Windows and MSFT are dirty words;-)

Reminds me when Apple went from 7.5 to 8.0 or some such thing. The OS had very little done with it, but, I had just bought a very expensive copy of MSFT Office for the Mac.
They had somehow managed to write one, what was essentially a driver, that made it necessary to buy another copy of MSFT to work with the new OS, which was around about 2
days before they went to OS 9. Ahh, those were the days...

Mercutio

Trying it now. Does seem to load some pages MUCH faster. Is it actually using the IE 8 64 bit
code?

It's basically using the IE embeddable component inside your Firefox Window, so it's using whatever IE is on your computer. There are options to let it inherit settings from Firefox as well.

The only place I use IEtab is to pay my power bill. Even MSDN subscriber downloads don't require IE any more.

Handruin

Administrator
Trying it now. Does seem to load some pages MUCH faster. Is it actually using the IE 8 64 bit
code?

I doubt it if things like flash are working while using that add-on. I found 64-bit IE 8 to be restrictive, but in truth, I've spent very little time using it.

Handruin

Administrator
SharePoint 2003 and OWA from Exchange 2003 both suck in anything other than IE.

I've also made it a habit to use IE when accessing the MSDN website. That's my home page in IE and it's the only thing in the browser history. :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm sure he did, but in this post he sounds like some of the less clueful folks I help, e.g.
"What version of Windows do you have?"
"It has Word!"
"Um..."
"2003 Word!"
Almost as good as an interview question I've received several times:
"Do you know Adobe?"
"Adobe what?"
"Adobe."
"Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, or what?"
"Yes."

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

That depends on your definition of people. :monky: I'm still mostly using IE6.

Mercutio

I can at least see the point to having Sharepoint, though I suspect that in larger corporate settings implementing it is just an extension of the office-peon tendency to do absolutely everything in Excel so they don't have to learn some other tool.