Gateway advice

Jimshady

What is this storage?
I'm running a small network at home to provide wireless/wired access to our broadband connection for the 6 family members computers. I am using a linksys router/WAP/4-port-switch to hold everything together. The only thing that pisses me off is complete disregard this thing has to bandwidth allocation. I want a firewall that has some sort of decent bandwidth management options that will allow gaming to go on while someone is downloading critical updates. I've set up the hardware side of things, a P133 should do the trick, now I have to pick a decent firewall app. What are my options? Will smoothwall juggle the bandwidth any better than the linksys router?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The problem is that IP V4 does not address traffic prioritization (IP V6 will). Any prioritization capabilities will be proprietary vendor extensions, which most manufacturers will not bother to add to consumer-grade equipment.

You might find something that can do that based on the workstation ID or the content type, but don't count on Linksys, Netgear, etc. to offer such a beast at a reasonable price point. Smoothwall or other open source options are probably your best bet.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If you are lucky enough to live in Oz, you can take your pick of DrayTek or Billion routers that include QOS. From what I've seen, they're vastly better than LinkSys, DLink or Netgear anyway.

If you can afford ~AU$240 (inc GST), DrayTek Vigor 2900 is the bee's knees.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
time said:
If you are lucky enough to live in Oz

I am lucky enough actually. I'm in canberra. I might check out this DrayTek you speak of. Thanks guys.