Getting married...how to merge computers?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
so, to sumn up the conversation.. If it is worth upgrading... you should do it with a coppermine based Celeron (sometimes called the Celeron II) that runs at 100Mhz bus... ie: Celeron 800-1000Mhz using the coppermine core.

You do not want to goto the 1.2Ghz or above celery's as they are using the tualatin core, and you do not want to go below 800 because then you will be using 66mHz bus.

You will need a slotket in any event because the cheapest and easiest to find Celery's in the given range are exclusively going to be FC-PGA socket 370's

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
THE ANSWER!!!!!!!

http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm

The world's only 100% Intel-compatible CPU upgrade solution for Slot-1 Computers. Over 100,000 installed!

The PowerLeap PL-iP3/T™ is a patented processor upgrade for Slot-1 Pentium-II, Pentium-III and Celeron systems and motherboards. With the PL-iP3/T™, such systems can reach speeds up to 1.4 GHz, depending on their maximum front-side bus (FSB) speeds. The PL-iP3/T™ is 100% compatible with the latest genuine Intel FC-PGA2 processors featuring the new "Tualatin" core, with enhanced L2 cache size and other optimizations not available in previous Pentium-III or Celeron processors.

Complete, with processor, 170 bucks.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Guy solutions not the same as girls...

Remember:

If you put this in the machine, chances are really good she's going to be pissed, wondering why you didn't spend the 200 bucks on a necklace for her for Christmas...
:excl:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I heard this on the radio the other day. One of the worst gifts a husband can give her wife for xmas is a set of pots and pans. :mrgrn:

(Remember that for future reference, Adcadet)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Among other things, my father-in-law bought my mother-in-law a vacuum cleaner.

I bought my wife an under-cabinet CD player (with AM/FM/TV/Weather) for the kitchen to replace a broken boom box, a bracelet, a few novels, a sweater, a bagel slicer, gloves, the Back to the Future DVD box, a gardening book, and some candy (she loves Queen Anne Cherries). She'd rather have lots of cheap gifts vs. just one or two expensive items.

To stay somewhat on-topic, one gift to the in-laws was to upgrade their PC from a rather slow K6/233 / 256MB EDO / Samsung 5400 drive / W98 to the Duron/Abit mobo I bought from Clocker w/512MB PC133, a 20GB WD 7200 drive, & W2KPro. The installation was a little time-consuming when it came to migrating the data & running Windows Update enough times to get caught up on everything, but the end result is a must snappier system that supports USB & AGP. Clocker ran the Duron 600 @ 950. I was going to run it at 600 as the in-laws don't need to OC for anything but got lazy and left it at 850, which was the speed I ran it at while installing the updates. The RAM was left over from something else & the WD HD was free from a friend who was having trouble with it in his system. I had to buy an ATX case as the K6 was AT. NIC / modem / sound / CD / FDD / Kbd / Mouse / ATI Rage II vid card / Dell 15" SVGA migrated over. Overall cost: about $120 for the CPU/HSF/mobo + ATX case + large2mini Kbd adapter + Silver grease + taxes & shipping.

- Fushigi

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
BTW.. you dont need a powerleap adaptor if you're feeling adventurous. You just clip off three pins ont he CPU and join two pins with a thin wire and now youve got yourself a CPU with built in powerleap :wink:

works a treat on BX boards.

Jeff Poulin

What is this storage?
Definately use two computers. It's no fun when you have little time and both want to check e-mail or look something up online and have to wait your turn.

Between my wife and I, we have 6 computers in the house (I'm a sysadmin, so I like having lots of machines around to tinker with, besides, they all do different things ;)). My wife just wants something that works the same way each time, so she has a dedicated machine that I don't use (laptop: P-II/400, 384MB RAM, 30GB HD, running W2K). She's quite happy with it, and that's all that matters.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
if we decide to reduce down to the desktop and laptop, the laptop will definitely be mine. If she needs to use a computer, she gets the desktop. All my school/research stuff is and will continue to be on the laptop, so this should work fine.

No pots and pans for Christmas? Well, my mother got the two of us not one, not two , but THREE vacuum cleaners for Christmas. Ug!

re: CPU surgery - I don't think so. I operate on rats, not CPUs these days.

re: Santilli's point - I'm not putting anything in her computer without a long discussion first.

Thanks all!