Ghost

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I know that Symantec purchased PowerQuest a couple of years ago and read that the current Ghost is a rehash of the dreaded Drive Image 7 (I have) with its Windows PE BS recovery. Which is the last version of Ghost that runs from removable media such as flash? Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a copy of ghost 2002 that works well from CD. I don't know if that was the last one or not. I now have a copy of Acronis Trueimage coming in the mail.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Can you boot from your flash drives? USB boot is becoming more common from devices such as a thumb drive and I guess if you have the right card reader it might work like that.

I still use boot floppies for ghost, and I have a USB floppy drive for my laptop that works well with computers that suport the boot from USB feature.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well, I have Ghost 2002 but was wondering if 2003 or 2004 was the last good version.

Of course it is possible to boot from USB if the BIOS supports it. :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Ghost 8.5 is the last old-style version that I have. Takes two floppies, tho'.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
I own Symantec (Norton) Ghost 9.0, which I believe was the end of the line for the DOS-based Ghost product. I bought Ghost 9.0 bundled with Ghost 2003. Ghost 2003 is a Windows-based product. Unfortunately, Ghost 2003 can't read Ghost 9.0 images and vice versa.

Is there really a Ghost 2004 or Ghost 2005? I'm not aware of either, but then again, Symantec may have changed the name of Ghost or may have integrated it into the Veritas product line and I wasn't aware of the move. (PS: I've long used Veritas BackUp Exec and NetBackup as well as their Solaris-based Cluster Server product.)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
My understanding is the follows

Ghost 2003 = Ghost 8.0 ... this was both windows based and included dos version....this is the one I have and use. Note, I only use the dos portion....it works like a champ

Ghost 2004 don't exist AFAIK, unless this is what sechs meant by Ghost 8.5. I know symantec released updates (mostly compatibility with burners I think) for ghost 2003, so maybe this is what he has or means

Gost 2005 (if such a thing exists) = Ghost 9.0 ... which in the rehashed Drive Image, but comes with Ghost 2003 (both the windows and dos versions?)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I gave up on Ghost and Drive Image once Norton (Symantic) bought them. I now use Acronis True Image. (http://www.acronis.com/). I downloaded it from Newegg for $29.00 a couple of months ago. You can make bootable floppies or a bootable CD from within True Image that will alow you to make or restore images; even across a network.

Bozo