Gigabyte advanced RMA not available?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well this GA-K8N Pro SLI has been a never ending disappointment. Some of you may remember my incompatibilities with the Nforce4 chipset and my KVM, a KVM of all things to be incompatible with, wow.

Yesterday after rearranging my office space the computer refused to turn on. Literally moving the computer six feet killed it with no bumps or jars, heck it was raining out with high humidity so ESD wasn't an issue. Pulling the plug, pulling the battery and leaving the CMOS clear jumped for an hour did nothing to change it. Ditto after pulling out all my cards and disconnecting everything that wasn't critical. Power supply turns on when I short the green to ground and my trusty ASUS P5A-B with AMD K6-2 450 something or other will run off this power supply as well.

Now I am reading Gigabyte's RMA site and read "No cross shipping or advanced replacements under any circumstances."

Thanks guys, mostly I just wanted to vent about the repeated kick in the nuts experience with this machine.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I had the same problem, I think.
Have you checked your RAM?
I had a non start, and, pulling one of two ram modules made it work.
Replaced both, and now it works fine.

S

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Damn, now I have to check that. My thinking was it would at least power on and give you a POST fail beep code if it was memory processor or video...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I tried some different memory and that did nothing, one stick at a time and in several diffent slots each. I wish I had another PS to test with to be 100% sure but I don't. Really though, it should at least turn on...

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm running a K8N Pro-SLI right now, and have used about 40 of them (or the non-Pro variant) in the last year or so. Fortunatly, I've never had to deal with an RMA.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
I don't know of a motherboard manufacturer that offers advance RMA.

Really? I didn't know that and I wonder why not? The last board I had to RMA was an ABIT about five years ago when I lived in Fremont CA, two towns over from their RMA facility so I just drove over dropped off the dead one and got a replacement board right then.

At any rate I ordered an ASRock 939SLI32-eSATA2 some network cables and the X64 version of XP so that will get me back on my feet by mid week rather than a month or so down the road.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I returned my Gigabyte 800XL on RMA, and, they took about 2 weeks to replace it, but, I got a brand new card back, at least from my observation.

Greg

paugie

Storage is cool
I have a 2year old system on an AsRock board (TBred 2000+) which is trouble free. Have not reformatted the machine since I set it up.

And lots of kids here (my local tech forum) have bought S939 NF4 AsRocks because of price/performance. Yep, they feel very flimsy.

Bottom line, they're very cheap, have respectable performance and I don't hear anything on breakdowns.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well the asrock board got here Wednesday on time and it both powered on fine and would accept my USB based KVM so we are already much better than the Gigabyte I had. I even found I could run tighter memory timings in this one with the same memory.

Nothing at all to complain about in this board other than the nvidia driver popping up every boot and saying SLI mode has been disabled. Don't know why it's doing that as I only have one 7800GT and never tried to enable SLI. I think that's just them telling me that they have locked out the ability for SLI on this chipset, I heard they disabled that on the ULI chipsets in recent video drivers. Minor curiosity is all.

When the Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO SLI comes back from RMA, I will throw it up on ebay. Anyone interested? I have the retail box and all accessories that it came with.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Got the board back today and I sent it out 7/26 so that's nearly a calendar month turn around. Not the greatest service, but that was UPS ground both ways so going faster you could knock off maybe a week and a half or so.

I am slightly dismayed that I received the same serial number I sent out so either they found nothing or it was a pretty easy fix. I will have to take my game computer apart to test the board before I officially offer it up.

I was thinking $65 plus shipping for the motherboard? Retail box with all accessories.

Also have some Kingston hyper-x KHX3200AK2 1G PC3200 1gig matched 512mb dimms. $70 shipped priority mail?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Sure, you have mail.

Well I don't know what they did but it posts fine just like before now. Not even so much as a note on the RMA slip.