Gigabyte goes down the tubes

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Please pass the mind-bleach.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful mental image, ddrueding.
Here's something happier to replace it.
miniskirt.jpg

Now that we're all feeling better... I've heard legends that in the distant past, Asus did not entirely suck. Perhaps it will return to the ways of its forefathers. I don't have any reason to be optimistic. I can't think of any time a merger between a bad company and a good one has resulted in a good company.

But maybe there's a first time.

Mercutio

That's the other pictures. ;)

Er, anyway, I'd like to suggest that the conjoined companies be known by the most obvious of names:

Assabyte.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The deal has been made . . .

[size=+2]Dailytech[/size]
ASUS and Gigabyte Form New Joint Venture
[size=-2]Kristopher Kubicki - August 8, 2006 7:31 AM[/size]

" The new joint venture will effectively let Gigabyte use Asustek facilities for manufacturing of "Gigabyte" branded video cards and motherboards."

"Gigabyte will own a 51% stake in the company, with Asustek picking up the other 49%."
________
[size=-2]Copyright 2006 DailyTech LLC.[/size]

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe I'm dense, but my understanding is that the two have formed a new venture. That does imply a merger of the two, or a takeover of one by the other. The news release is typical PR fluff with not much substance, so it's hard to tell.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
That picture has caused me to rethink my contribution here at SF. I will not stand for objectification of women. And there is no excuse for tolerating such abusive behaviour. I will not longer be visiting this site.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
Maybe I'm dense, but my understanding is that the two have formed a new venture. That does imply a merger of the two, or a takeover of one by the other.

This is a way to save face.

It's kind of like what Nissan and Renault did. Gigabyte doesn't officially give up, and Asus still gains from its key abilities. Both sides gain, but nobody officially wins.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Howell said:
That picture has caused me to rethink my contribution here at SF. I will not stand for objectification of women. And there is no excuse for tolerating such abusive behaviour. I will not longer be visiting this site.

Hard to tell intent on a message board, but, wouldn't it be better to educate the misguided bretheren rather than have a dummy spit?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm disgusted in Mercutio's restraint and good judgement. ;-)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Howell said:

Don't you think you are overreacting a bit?

However, if you feel that strongly, maybe we can remove the picture?

Handruin

Administrator
Howell already asked me to delete his account...I don't get why this came on so strong. The picture could have been removed like you suggested. My guess is the comments associated with it turned him sour on it, but why so strong I do not know.

ddrueding

Fixture
:shrug: Women (and men) are objects. Animate, sentient ones (most), but objects nonetheless.

I'd have to assume that Howell doesn't frequent bars much.

Mercutio

Or he could've PM'd me to let me know he doesn't like pictures of healthy and fully clothed young women. It's a picture hosted on my site. I could remove it.

Whatever.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The most important thing to do is respect his views and feelings, wether you agree with him or not.

Actually, I'll miss his posts.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, it is unfortunate. But considering some of the hobbies of our members and our general (rather healthy IMO) perspective, it does seem inevitable. I'm actually suprised it didn't happen sooner.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Well, to be honest, that is not the first time that a picture of a scantily clad woman has been posted here.

Maybe not an inline picture, but I know links have been posted in the past.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
Do you guys just assume everyone here is male?

Actually...yeah, I do. Just as I assume that all the guys hanging around outside home depot are illegal. It's not that it's a universal constant, just true enough of the time to save me the effort of worrying about it.

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
Maybe Howell is actually a woman?

I don't belive so. I've spoken with him on the phone in the past and he didn't sound female.

paugie

Storage is cool
Sayang ("what a waste" or "it's a pity" in Tagalog)

I hoped any offense, unintentional or even intentional could be talked over and resolved.

I've just unhappily realized some of us could be together for a long time, sharing a lot of things we enjoy and still not be friends. But for the record, to me, you all are friends. Not deep-deep, mind you. But enough. Don't we call this a community?

Still hoping Howell would reconsider.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Fortunately I block all jpegs, or I would probably be disgusted as well...

Mercutio

Howell is a guy. I have also spoken to him.

I'm not sure what brought the current reaction on. I looked at the picture in question and judged it both safe and tasteful for its intended purpose, even posted as an in-line image. I pass things that are more objectionable that're on 30-foot-long billboards on my way to work.

Lunar, the picture is of an attractive young woman in a miniskirt. She's lifting the hem of her skirt so you can see the bottom of her undies. You can see more skin in a shampoo commercial on TV.

I rather strongly suspect Howell will be back after a while. He's gone away for periods before.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
CougTek has not posted since his raciest post: I'm afraid that in my desire to remove his post, he got offended too. We really don't have that many that post regularly, that we can afford to lose many.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I agree with that sentiment, Mark.

There are probably less than 30 people that post on this board. Let's try not to drive anymore off.

Though, you would have to run me over with a steamroller to seriously offend me.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I've been through a few grinds on boards. Most of the time, it's not you.
Here, Mercutio, while I did NOT like your post concerning my friend, that you had no knowledge of, I'm NOT leaving.
Been here too long for that, and, with the group too long. While I thought your post was truly off, I'll give you one, having looked at posts UIF, and realized I might not be the only one.

That said, that woman is truly incredible, and, how anyone could be offended by such a gorgeous picture, of an incredible woman, well....

I will say that I don't frequent a couple sites, simply because the information present was not worth my time and effort. Perhaps Howell feels his time spent here, doesn't represent a viable return in knowledge. Don't know.
All I can say is Howell, God Bless you, and, we'll miss you here.

Sincerely

Greg