Glass Gremlins v. windshield chip repair

Stereodude

Not really a
Am I the only person who hate the Windshield Chip repair people that hover around gas stations when you're filling up or oil change places while you're getting your oil changed, store parking lots, etc?

I've started calling these people Glass Gremlins. When I'm getting gas I'm not looking to have someone "fix" my windshield for "free" by filing a claim against my car insurance. I just want to pump my gas in peace, pay at the pump, and not be bothered. The same thing goes for when I'm getting my oil changed. It's bad enough that I have to have the oil change place try to sell me other things I didn't come there for, but now I've got to deal with a Glass Gremlin hovering over my windshield telling me I've got chips and that they're going to spread, blah, blah, blah... I will no longer get my oil changed at the place I used to frequent because of having to deal with a glass gremlin the last time I was there.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
We don't have those guys where I live.

I get asked to buy cammed bootlegs of movies that are still in the theater, for random directions to weird places (e.g. Boise, Idaho) because my gas station is basically at the intersection of three arterial highways and occasionally I'll get free passes to the strip club down the street (which is not the one my friend works at but a different one).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I try to buy gas from stations that are not too busy at the time and if weirdos are hanging around I go elsewhere. Early in the morning seems best.

The worst place that I visit with any regularity is Las Vegas, especially North. Some of the people hanging around are definitely undesirables. I can imagine that some inner city areas are especially bad.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Can't say I've ever been bothered, in person. They do call and that is plenty enough annoying but not nearly as annoying as my daily "There's nothing wrong with your credit card but it is urgent that you contact us..."

LunarMist

We don't have those guys where I live.

I get asked to buy cammed bootlegs of movies that are still in the theater, for random directions to weird places (e.g. Boise, Idaho) because my gas station is basically at the intersection of three arterial highways and occasionally I'll get free passes to the strip club down the street (which is not the one my friend works at but a different one).

How many such establishments are there in the area? I thought you lived in a small town.

Handruin

Administrator
I've never seen anyone at a gas station soliciting for glass repair. Maybe that's not something that's made its way out east? Mass has mandatory auto glass coverage with insurance, so maybe that plays into some of this?

Handruin

Administrator
Did your area recently have hail or some other storm/event causing damage? I've seen companies and individuals try to capitalize on those situations.

Stereodude

Not really a
Did your area recently have hail or some other storm/event causing damage?
Nope.

I guess I should clarify these are the people who are trying to repair (not replace) your windshield where they fill chips / small cracks with resin. They advertise that it's free (because they're charging your insurance). Most insurance will pay for glass repair with no deductible.

ddrueding

Fixture
Never seen them here, either. Here it is just bums lying about their car breaking down or not having money for gas. I do actually require the services of a glass chip repair guy, but I've been too lazy to bother. The day I bought my car I got a chip on the drive home. Another happened last week. Still haven't had the first one fixed.

Mercutio

Can't say I've ever been bothered, in person. They do call and that is plenty enough annoying but not nearly as annoying as my daily "There's nothing wrong with your credit card but it is urgent that you contact us..."

The sad thing is, those calls all come from the same outfit. And they never call from the same number twice. I don't understand how they stay in business.

The call blocker on my phone is set up to send any call I get directly to voicemail unless I've whitelisted the number and it's really because of those people.

Anyway Lunar, there are four strip clubs and an adult bookstore nearby. There are also four liquor stores. This might have something to do with the dozen or so motels catering to truckers and six truck stops in about the same amount of space.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Anyway Lunar, there are four strip clubs and an adult bookstore nearby. There are also four liquor stores. This might have something to do with the dozen or so motels catering to truckers and six truck stops in about the same amount of space.

Are you still in Hobart?

Stereodude

Not really a
Just today? I thought it was a routine.
I see Glass Gremlins often in parking lots of large stores or shopping centers. I hadn't seen them at a gas station before today. They are annoying though when they're prowling around your car checking out your windshield trying to sell their services.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
We don't have them trolling the streets yet, but we see a lot of ads on TV for them, as well as DIY kits.

The sad thing, the most popular one (O'Briens glass) charges twice as much as anyone else, and recommend the insurance route every time.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Synchronicity. I think I've only replaced one windscreen in my entire life. I've had two stone chips in the last month, the second one about 40 minutes ago...

Mercutio

You know, I always thought a crack or chip in a windshield was an instant-fix, no-big-deal issue for one's car insurance. Is it not like that everyplace?

Stereodude

Not really a
You know, I always thought a crack or chip in a windshield was an instant-fix, no-big-deal issue for one's car insurance. Is it not like that everyplace?
For the most part it is, but it costs them like $5 in resin to fix a chip and they charge your insurance like $100, so it's a high profit operation which is why I suspect it's turned into big business (at least where I live).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
One of the cars I had got a chip in the windshield. I ignored it, and it grew into a crack that got progressively worse till I had to have the windshield changed. When I got a chip in my next car, I bought some stuff at an auto parts store and fixed it myself. It worked really well; the chip became less visible and never grew. Unless you're completely clueless about DIY, it's pretty easy to do. Stereo's gremlins need to target potential customers better.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The gremlins need a good dose of pepper spray.
The last windshield I replaced was after I went through it head first.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
The only time I've ever had anything like a chip in my windshield, I was driving on the interstate and suddenly there was a very loud bang on the order of magnitude of a gunshot. Very startling! Something hit the windshield directly in the center of the driver side hard enough that it put a half dollar sized divot in the front and it blew out an equivalent behind with a pencil sized hole in the center. I just replaced the window without even considering repair.

ddrueding

Fixture
One of the cars I had got a chip in the windshield. I ignored it, and it grew into a crack that got progressively worse till I had to have the windshield changed.

I'm pretty sure this is why the insurance companies are keen to fix the chip without charge; it saves them the windshield replacement later on. Of course, my windshield (and every windshield with >25k miles) is completely covered in tiny pits that bug me to no end. I wouldn't mind replacing the whole thing anyway.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Of course, my windshield (and every windshield with >25k miles) is completely covered in tiny pits that bug me to no end. I wouldn't mind replacing the whole thing anyway.

I personally haven't seen that effect on any windshield I've owned with more than 25K miles. Perhaps it is a local condition or the speed you habitually travel but it isn't occurring to me. However, if it ever does I'll take you up on your offer to replace it since it bothers you so much. :wink:

Handruin

Administrator
My window has little pits in it also. I attributed it to the salt/sand from the winter time.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Am I the only person who hate the Windshield Chip repair people that hover around gas stations when you're filling up or oil change places while you're getting your oil changed, store parking lots, etc?

I've started calling these people Glass Gremlins. When I'm getting gas I'm not looking to have someone "fix" my windshield for "free" by filing a claim against my car insurance. I just want to pump my gas in peace, pay at the pump, and not be bothered. The same thing goes for when I'm getting my oil changed. It's bad enough that I have to have the oil change place try to sell me other things I didn't come there for, but now I've got to deal with a Glass Gremlin hovering over my windshield telling me I've got chips and that they're going to spread, blah, blah, blah... I will no longer get my oil changed at the place I used to frequent because of having to deal with a glass gremlin the last time I was there.

We don't have those people here either. I hope you told the business why you're not coming back.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe he was outside the car? :dunno:

Nope. In 1965 seat belts were optional. I was driving a 1965 Mustang and hit a 1964 Chevy Impala head on. Crumpled up the Mustang pretty good. Scratched the paint on the Chevy. Good thing I have a hard head. :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Reminds me of a funny thing:

My uncle retired last year. For a retirement present to himself, he went out and bought the car he lusted after in his youth, which is some kind of late 60s-era Dodge musclecar (Charger?). The one he bought was in showroom perfect condition with all original trim and some ridiculously small number of miles on it, like 29,000.

Anyway, the VERY FIRST time he took it out on the road, he drove less than 500 feet and right into a deer.

LunarMist

Seat belts were optional or wearing them was optional? My 1965 T-bird had seat belts, but it had a lot of fancy features for that era. It was built like a tank, too. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
My '66 Sprite Midget had no seatbelts at all, there was no option. I installed a lap belt the first week I had the car. I wasn't safety minded at the time, but the seats weren't very supportive, and the door would occasionally open on it's own mid-corner.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Seat belts were optional or wearing them was optional? My 1965 T-bird had seat belts, but it had a lot of fancy features for that era. It was built like a tank, too. :)

They were optional equipment in the cars. The higher end models got them as standard equipment first and then trickled down to the others. I believe Lincolns had them in 1963?? In 1968 the first federal safety standards went into effect. Seat belts, collapsible steering columns, split master cylinders (front/rear), lane changer turn signals, and some smog controls.

I wasn't wearing the ones that were in my Mustang.