question Glasses

Handruin

Administrator
I know no one seems interested in eye surgery, but there is an alternative to LASIK. I wasn't the greatest candidate for laser surgery myself, so I opted for IOLs (Visian ICLs) and I am very happy with them. The healing time is much faster than with LASIK, the visual clarity is better than I ever had with glasses or contacts, and the surgery is completely reversible, so when I start to lose my ability to read close (I'm 33), I could get them exchanged for something better. They actually make a lens that will focus for you, much like your own natural lens. But usually it's cataract patients who get those.
This is something I'd have to consider because I'm not a candidate for LASIK. My eye doc says that someone is working on an ICL-like procedure that will attached the lens to the muscles and it remains flexible so that reading glasses post 45 y/o aren't needed like they are today with cataract surgery. My other option would be Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) but the recovery time for that is a lot longer than flap-based LASIK.

Stereodude

Not really a
What are you guys doing for prescription sunglasses? I have a few pairs of dark lenses in standard eyeglass frames, but I'm not the biggest fan of them. I mean they're much better than standard clear glasses, but I find myself in situations from time to time (mostly when driving) where the sun is at an angle where they aren't doing much because they don't either block or control light in the extreme peripherals.

I know you can get prescription Oakley and other more traditional sunglasses designs. Of course they're not cheap. Has anyone done that?

Handruin

Administrator
I have never bought any prescription sunglasses for some of the reasons you mentioned. Given my strength, if I were to get frames to cover my eyes to block the sun they'd be super thick lenses. If I got normal sized frames, they'd be pretty expensive sunglasses. I decided to do daily disposable contacts and just cheap sunglasses as a compromise.

I have a pair of full wrap-around sunglasses with my prescription in them and a pretty dark tint. I think Nike makes them, and they can fit a pretty thick lens without looking weird or feeling heavy. They live in my car, as the self-darkeining lenses work everywhere else. I think they were nearly $600.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
1) my transitions DO get dark inside the car, depending on how bright it is outside. Since it darkens smoothly, one doesn't notice it, and I am often surprised when I look in the mirror and see that they have darkened.

2) They lighten up in about 2-3 minutes once you come indoors. This is not quick enough sometimes if the place you're entering is not bright, and at these times, I take my glasses off so I can see; better to have blurred vision than not be able to see anything at all. Despite this, and despite going through repeated turbulence in my finances, I've always opted for photochromic lenses since for me it does make a difference and is worthwhile.
If you need dark glasses for bright light, then photochromic lenses are generally a bad choice. As they darken as the the light increases, it makes your eyes more sensitive. You're better off making the jump-change from regular to sunglasses.

In any case, the different options that one can put on sunglasses are really useful. I get polarized polycarbonate lenses, since they're shatter resistant and reduce glare. I'd never get those for regular clear glasses

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
What are you guys doing for prescription sunglasses? I have a few pairs of dark lenses in standard eyeglass frames, but I'm not the biggest fan of them. I mean they're much better than standard clear glasses, but I find myself in situations from time to time (mostly when driving) where the sun is at an angle where they aren't doing much because they don't either block or control light in the extreme peripherals.

I know you can get prescription Oakley and other more traditional sunglasses designs. Of course they're not cheap. Has anyone done that?
What works for you kind of has a lot to do with the shape of your face.

My spare sunglasses have Oakley frames, but I can't use them in bright sunlight, as I cannot get them to sit close enough to my face to sufficiently block light.

My regular sunglasses use relatively cheap RayBan frames, which have larger lenses, so little light leaks around the edges.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I think the value of getting Lasik depends upon what you wear glasses for. I've read Lasik will correct your distance vision but not the range over which your eye can focus. As a result, your near vision will suffer. 99% of what I do involves near vision. That includes working on electronics, reading (both paper and a monitor), even seeing my food. On the flip side, the only thing I wear glasses for is watching TV. My distance vision is plenty good enough to walk or bike safety without glasses. I can't read street signs until I'm fairly close, but I see anything I need to avoid hitting just fine. Given all that, Lasik would be pretty much all downsides for me. I would have nice clear vision walking, riding my bike, or watching TV, but I would probably need to use reading glasses for all that close-up stuff I do. Any type of lenses cause unacceptable distortions at close range. I would end up being a lot less efficient at the things I do on a regular basis. They wouldn't be pleasant, either.

I'm actually curious in this day and age where everyone stares at screens, often inches away, why we even consider having good distance vision as a desirable default. It makes more sense to me to have to use glasses for the relatively rare times distance vision is important.
This. A guy I worked with had Lasik, keep in mind he told them during the initial consultation that his job entailed looking at computer monitors close in during his entire shift. Ended up needing glasses anyway for his monitor viewing work. IMO they should never have proceeded with the surgery knowing what his vision needs were.

Stereodude

Not really a
Aren't the displays in modern cars designed with the polarizers in the right plane for minimal darkening with sunglasses, or do you mean other devices?
The displays in cars and nearly all consumer electronics devices have the polarizers angle set with consideration given to polarized sunglasses.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
The displays in cars and nearly all consumer electronics devices have the polarizers angle set with consideration given to polarized sunglasses.
That's what I thought from all the recent rental cars. Portrait is the normal orientation for the cell phones based on the home page.

Stereodude

Not really a
So ~3 years later, but I'm finally getting around to this. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks to get my eyes checked and get new prescription glasses. The Crizal Sapphire 360° UV AR coating that has subsequently come out since the thread was started looks interesting to me.

I'm also going to see about getting new prescription sunglasses that have more wrap around coverage than standard glasses frames.

I had my appointment today. My prescription was the same as it was 20+ years ago, but the Dr. said I have a very slight astigmatism now. The smallest amount they measure.

My new glasses are on order. The Sapphire 360° UV coating was $85 extra over the otherwise mandatory $10 UV-only coating. They said the regular price is $160 for Sapphire 360° UV, but because of VSP (my "insurance") it's discounted. My understanding is that VSP, like most vision "insurance", is more like a discount plan, but anyhow...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I'm not convinced that correcting ±0.25 cylinder makes much difference most of the time. It's often a case of how you pick "which one is better" and that can even vary day to day. What is your add if I may ask?