Goin Crazy with SQL2k and Exchange2k3...

ddrueding

Fixture
...and IIS, and RRAS, and AD, and...ugh.

Has anyone had compatability issues running all of these on the same machine? SBS2k3 has some limitations I'd like to avoid, but IIRC I had some issues with SQL2k and Exchange 2k running on the same box.

comments?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There aren't very many people here who can help you, unfortunately.
You certainly SHOULD be able to get all of the above to function. A do-everything server is a single point of failure anyway, and should probably be avoided.

I'd suggest off-loading a few of those server roles to another PC. Maybe even one that doesn't run Windows.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, for the record, it works. I do plan on offloading many of these tasks to other servers within the next few months, but the functionality is required (for only a few users) in the meantime. It seems to be holding up quite well.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, running strong for 2 days now...running only 2 users for exchange and a SQL-based web site. Peak commit chage stands at around 700MB. CPU usage averages 4%. Happy me, the other servers are on their way.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
There shouldn't be a compatibility problem between these. They are bundled together in SBS2003. If you are only dealing with a few users (Less than 50) and don't mind a single failure point then SBS is your answer. It is signifigently cheaper than W2003 server + SQL 2003 + Exchange 2003 and already bundled together in a way that is compatible.

ddrueding

Fixture
P5-133XL said:
There shouldn't be a compatibility problem between these. They are bundled together in SBS2003. If you are only dealing with a few users (Less than 50) and don't mind a single failure point then SBS is your answer. It is signifigently cheaper than W2003 server + SQL 2003 + Exchange 2003 and already bundled together in a way that is compatible.

Yeah, but I was concerned about the company growing beyond the limits of SBS...so I'm running Win2k3 Enterprise, SQL2k Dev, Exchange2k3 Enterprise, etc. I'll be migrating IIS and SQL off soon enough. Those should stay on the same machine for now, as the SQL server is driving the web site (DotNetNuke)