Good questions to ask at an interview

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
When going for an interview it is a very good idea to know the company you are interviewing with and what they do. Researching the company is a good first step. One of the methods I use to sell myself at an interview is to ask questions about the company and the technology they use. This shows I can at least talk intelligently about the technology and also helps me get a feel for the job responsibilities.

I am compiling a list of questions that would be good to ask. I have been going off the top of my head but I wanted to formalize a list.

What questions do you ask?

Keep in mind these should be noncompension related questions. The correct time to ask compensation questions would be after I know what they want me to do (after an offer).

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
This is my current list.

Dress code
typical working hours
nontypical working hours
scope of responsibilities
tell me about a typical problem I would be expected to solve
tell me about a nontypical problem I would be expected to solve
Working with what equipment/technology

me

What is this storage?
My first question is always:

What percentage of your female employees are single?

The downside is, I find that the interviewers are often so impressed by this question that they immediately inform me that they are simply unable to offer me a position worthy of my tact and social prowess.

It's a hard life I live.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ask how many other people do your job.
Is work given to "teams" or is responsibility placed on individuals? Or both?
How much self-direction is (someone in your job) allowed? Or less specifically, how management deals with people at your job rank.
Ask about the frequency of aspirn, antacid, and pizza/chinese food consumption among your peers (ie, if your interviewer knows, it's probably not a good thing).
Ask about corporate structure above your job rank, and maybe a little bit about those people. If your interviewer doesn't know beyond a certain point, you're either talking to the wrong person or in a very confused organization.
Ask about training. Especially cross-training to other work inside the company.
If you're going for computer work, ask about commonalities in environment (OS, hardware vendors, do you have a handle on inventory/licensing? Are the users idiots or do they get regular training?)
Talk about "Dilbert". That can segue into all kinds of interesting interview topics.
Ask about pager/cell phone/email etiquette, particularly if they want someone on a 24-hour call.

Also, if you get a chance to visit the area where you'll be working, or one like it, take a look at the coffee service. You want to see good coffee, maybe a selection of tea and cocoa. If what you see is a jar of Sanka, well, that's a little scary (it's an indicator of budgetary status). Look at cubes, too. Lots of clean desks = bored people. Lots of old, nasty food containers, excessive messiness, jar of Tums on desk = overworked people. Quality of toilet paper is another good indicator of work environment for an office.

I try very hard to find something nice (and non-threatening) to say to my interviewer. Avoid the obvious sexual harassment if you're talking to "Bambi from HR", but "That's a nice watch, what kind is it?" is kind of a nice icebreaker.

Remember to send a thank-you card (with an extra business card) after speaking with your interviewer. It's a nice touch, and it's gotten me contacts that have led to other short-term jobs.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Hopefully you could have done a bit of research into the company structure before the meeting, may show that you are keen and ready to go.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Seeing as how the vast majority of my employment experience has been in Academia (ok, all but a brief stint as a small company's IT guy), perhaps I'm the wrong person to suggest something. Since I mainly work in basic to semi-applied biomedical research labs (see www.tc.umn.edu/~calv0016/research for more info if curious), I'm usually interested in whether the head dude (to use the technical term) views my role as primarily as *doing* experiments, or *thinking* about experiments. If the answer is simply *doing*, I usually just move on to the next interview since the implication is that the head dude is looking for a lab tech (robot) and nothing more. The more *thinking* that is involved, the better. While I want to actually do experiments, and enjoy doing them, at this point in my career I demand a fair degree of autonomy and expect to get earn my keep through my mind, not my hands.

Cliptin (or others) - I'm not sure if this is a good point, but I hope it helps.

Good luck!
Adcadet