Got a new surfboard, after 7 months from Pat Rawson...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Had to drive over to Pacifica at 12:00 @ night to pick it up. Drove home.
Slightly distracted, I had installed a 300 gig Sata Seagate Cheetah(When did 7200 rpm drives start doing 73 mb/@sec?)

I also had a backup drive, USB 2 250 gig external maxtor, with my current backup on it. Somehow, in a distracted moment, trying to switch the 300 gig from dynamic to basic formatting, I blanked my backup 250 gig, with no warning I was about to do so...

I'll loose time, since some movies I'd ripped, I still can rip again, but, are going to cost time. Other then that, everything else was DVD backup, as well.

Still, MSFT! Why was there no warning?

S

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
You would have needed to delete all existing volumes, before converting a dynamic disk back to basic.

When you right clicked and chose "Delete Volume", what did you think it would do?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That's what I thought, but, I had to us Seagates' utility to set the disk up as a simple disk. Worked, but I thought it would have been easier with XP...

S

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
So you used a utility from Seagate, that wiped your drive without any warning? I would say that is poor coding on Seagate's part, MSFT have produced some horrible shit in their time, but I don't think this is their fault.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
ahh no. I was trying to delete the partition using MSFT disk management tools, so I could initialize as a basic, rather then dynamic disk, and, somehow highlighted the wrong disk, and ended up with a blank backup disk.

My fault, but amazing how easy it was to do, with none of the usual warnings...

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Not that I don't like the efficency of not having annoying warnings, but, still, when you get used to them, and then they aren't there, well, it's just a bit different...

System admin guys are, I'm sure, used to this stuff, but us hobby types don't use the tools often enough to really get used to the programs. I've done all this stuff before, just it's been a real long time since I've had to add a disk...

S