Got a used 45gb Hungary 75GXP...

J-Frog

What is this storage?
I purchased a used 45gb 75GXP recently to run tests on. My plan is to be real hard on the drive until it fails and then find out what causes it to fail. Will SpinRite be adequate for being hard on the drive? So far, the 75GXP has a clean SMART record, about 2500 power on hours total and is a year and a half old.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
If your newly-purchased used 75GXP has lasted as long as you say, then you have one of the "good" ones. I have a few 30 GB and 60 GB 75GXP hard drives running at work (running virtually 24x7) and my parents have a 30 GB in their computer. These have all been running fine without incident. It seems like if you bought a 75GXP from a particular manufacturing run, you were just about sure to experience a problem.

Now, if you really want to make it fail, just run it through some vigorous write tests and have it wrapped up in a blanket, which should cause it to overheat and...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If you want to be really hard on your 75GXP, put it in a sandwitch between two other hard drives (preferably two old 10Krpm SCSI drives like the first generation Cheetah) with no active cooling, then pass a few hours to reboot the system every 30 seconds or so. If the drive still doesn't fail, make it run IOMeter vitam eternam for a month or two and then shut down the system for a few days. When you'll reboot, there are good chances your drive will be R.I.P.

Drive running 24/7 are more prone to fail when rebooting than drives that boot every day due to the accumulation of junk on the bearings. When you power down for a few days a drive that use to run 24/7 for a while, the "junk" sometimes solidifies and break the motor at the next power up. It isn't such a deal for SCSI drives with high quality components, but a 75GXP with parts that might fail just by looking at them is another story.

However, I heard that the main reason behind the high failure rate of the 75GXP is related to poor heat resistance, hence my suggestion of putting the drive in sandwitch between two others with no active cooling.

Good luck, if I can say it that way.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Good Lord you people are ignorant. Anyone who knows anything at all about hard drives and the reliability patterns that accompany them could tell you the proper way to achieve this goal. If you want the drive to fail, J-frog, you need to follow the same basic procedure that you follow with any other mass storage device. Put your one and only copy of something really, really important on it and forget to make a backup.

J-Frog

What is this storage?
Where are you from, J-Frog?

I have been a member of Storagereview for a few months. I came across this forum and decided to join also, as it seemed very interesting to me at the time.

Put your one and only copy of something really, really important on it and forget to make a backup.

If you want to be really hard on your 75GXP, put it in a sandwitch between two other hard drives (preferably two old 10Krpm SCSI drives like the first generation Cheetah) with no active cooling, then pass a few hours to reboot the system every 30 seconds or so. If the drive still doesn't fail, make it run IOMeter vitam eternam for a month or two and then shut down the system for a few days. When you'll reboot, there are good chances your drive will be R.I.P.

These are very good ideas. Mabye I should be a little clearer. I want the drive to "screech-click", and find out what causes the "screech-click".

James

Storage is cool
J-Frog said:
My plan is to be real hard on the drive until it fails and then find out what causes it to fail.
If you put it in a TiVo it gets pretty hard use. They are writing an MPEG2 bitstream to the disk 24/7.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I wasn't asking you how did you end up in StorageForum.net, J-Frog, but where are you from in the real world?

Onomatopoeic

> Got a used 45gb Hungary 75GXP...

If your Seventy Five Gee Ex Pee is sooooo hungry... TAKE IT TO DINNER! Haha!

Bada Bing Bang Boom!

OK. Shut up you idiots.

Do any of you what interleave is? Huh? Interleave is what the flying head assembly blows behind the Partition so that it can record data on a nice clean surface!

Bada Bing Bang Boom!

J-Frog

What is this storage?
Do any of you what interleave is? Huh? Interleave is what the flying head assembly blows behind the Partition so that it can record data on a nice clean surface!

Huh :-?

Onomatopoeic

Tea said:
Interleave is where four of you go to a really boring party, and you sneak out one by one without saying goodbye, hoping no-one will notice that you have all gone.

Yes, technically that would be a 4:1 Interleave, which should never be confused with a scenario where these are medical students. That would be, of course, an Internleave.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Is this an English-as-mother-tongue-speakers-joke-only or something?! :-?

Onomatopoeic

Prof.Wizard said:
Is this an English-as-mother-tongue-speakers-joke-only or something?! :-?

No, we are expanding the English language here at StorageForum. Expect this garbage to show up in an English dictionary someday not.

(PS: As for mother tongues, in my early life the first language I actually spoke was German.)