Greased Disk??

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Pretty cool. As TPI and BPI increase, heads need to fly lower. As this occurs, that necessary layer of lubrication becomes an obstruction. Hopefully this new polyester compound will allow for lower fly heights.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It just dawned on me what the hole in a hard drive cover is for. That's where you stick the WD-40 (it's made by Western Digital [WD] right?) nozzle and give it a squirt every 100 hours or so. :lol:

Bozo :mrgrn:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You're really, really, risking it, Bozo. WD-40 is too thin to begin with, and with the heat of an operating drive, practically useless. I've been using 50 grade synthetic motor oil with excellent results. As mentioned in this thread, not a single drive has ever failed me. And that goes back to the days of 60MB drives.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, WD-40 might work OK in those slow old Western Digital drives, but my X15s scoot along at 15,000 RPM and run a bit warmer than that - if I squirted WD-40 in them it would explode!

Besides, we are all organic here. Pure olive oil is what we use. Extra virgin, of course.

(Whatever that is.)

(Silly. A virgin is a sort of aeroplane. Don't you know that?)

(Oh.)

(Errr .... Tannin?)

(Hmm...)

(Does that mean there are two sortz of virgins? Blue ones that fly around Australia, and red ones that fly across the Atlantic?)

(That's right, little one. Two different sorts. The red ones are bigger. Sometimes they have four engines.)

(So what's an "extra virgin"?)

(Err ... E_Dawg? Merc? JTR? Someone want to help me out here?)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
(So what's an "extra virgin"?)

Well, I'll give this a try my young simian friend. "Extra virgin" is an aeroplane that has never flown before, carried any passengers, or even left the hanger. It is the envy of all pilots, passengers, and crew around, because it is the cleanest plane available.

ddrueding

Fixture
Although you do have to be wary of the "Extra Virgin" title, as it is misrepresented fairly often. Frequently these aircraft will have been taken out of the hangar in the past for "test flights" or "private charters", then put back in the hangar and marketed as "Extra Virgin".

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
But at the same time Tea, there are many who would like nothing better then to get into the cockpit of the dirtiest plane available....and quite often, the rides on the dirty planes are lots and lots of fun.