Haiku Operating System

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Haiku is an open-source operating system currently in development designed from the ground up for desktop computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku aims to provide users of all levels with a personal computing experience that is simple yet powerful, and free of any unnecessary complexities.

http://www.haiku-os.org/

Adcadet

Storage Freak
It was 1999, and I had just built a dual celeron 400 system using an Abit BP6 and I think 128 or 256 MB of RAM. The thing made BeOS fly. It was around the time that I was experimenting with Linux, and BeOS was much simpler to install which was a big plus, and it played back MP3s, the major multimedia task of the time, with aplomb. Around the same time I got Windows 2000, primarily for the SMP support, which I regularly switched between.

At least I think those details and dates are correct.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I also have BeOS. I remember bringing it to work and installing it on a PII-300 with 128M RAM. I ran the tea pot demo in a window and you could drag the window around the desktop and the tea pot never stuttered. It just kept running in the window as smooth as silk.
The Linux and Windows guys couldn't believe what they were seeing.

I have been checking the Haiku site waiting for an ISO to download.

Bozo :joker:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Get a Mac

Tales of a BeOS Refugee

From BeOS to OS X (by way of Windows and Linux)

http://www.birdhouse.org/macos/beos_osx/

...Linux just has no feng shui.

In Linux, I had plenty of Unix power, but very little enjoyment. And my wife was getting tired of hearing me swear at the computer. Half a year before, I had written a piece for Byte on Mac OS X, about how pleasantly impressed I had been with my early exposures to it. My conclusion in that piece was that OS X might be destined to become the BeOS that never was. Both BeOS and OS X were designed to address shortcomings in Mac OS (OS <9). BeOS was designed and built by a team of mostly ex-Apple engineers, and Be's CEO had been head of product development at Apple for many years. Both offered Mac-like grace coupled with a Unix shell. Both were committed to providing a great user experience. Both put the goals of media content creation and consumption high on the list of priorities.

In October 2001 I took one last look at the Linux box, then reached for a kitchen cleaver, cut off its head, and bought a Mac.
Well I try to get the totally M$ indoctrinated like dd--- to rethink; but alas, can't get those well brainwashed to 'think different' and find their way to the dark side :D.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
October 2001? What the... Linux has come a long, long way since then.