Half-Life 2

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
I thought this was comical, since I was talking to Merc last night and he said someone at best buy offered him Half-Life 2

Source : Bluesnews.com
Half-Life 2 for Sale? [November 13, 2004, 8:02 pm EST] - 28 Comments
Valve sends an explanation for why Half-Life 2 is not being activated at this time in spite of the couple reports of it being available at retail already:

Half-Life 2 For Sale?

If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

Handruin

Administrator
Ah man, what torture, just come out with the damn game already. I need to hurry up and finish Halo 2 before HL2 is out in stores.

freeborn

It is out today. I preordered through Steam and enjoyed 10 minutes of it before coming out to work this morning. Looks and sounds great but I haven't really done much gameplay yet. I intend to finish Hal-Life : Source before digging in but it (Half-Life : Source) had 3 hours left on the Steam download when I wanted to look at it this morning so I glanced at HL2 instead.

Free

Handruin

Administrator
I went out during lunch today to get my retail copy. I've posted my feelings so far on their sub-quality install here. I'm on CD #2 of 5 right now. Only another hour until I can play. :roll:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It has to be activated like Windows XP???? And Turbo-Tax (last year)???

I'll pass. I'm going to try and maintain control of MY computer as long as I can.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, it requires activation. Their server was very busy last night (surprise surprise) but the activation recognized this and allow me to play on a temp license until they could authenticate my serial number.

On a different topic, here are some interesting statistical information valve is gathering. I like seeing the typical system people are playing the game with, and the balance between brands.

RWIndiana

Hey Handruin I didn't know you were a Halo fan. Did you finish it yet?

It has to be activated like Windows XP???? And Turbo-Tax (last year)???

I'll pass. I'm going to try and maintain control of MY computer as long as I can.

I like you, Bozo. :D

Handruin

Administrator
Haven't finish it yet. I'm about 8-10+ hours into the game. I will alternate between it and HL2, but I'm biased to HL2!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
Yes, it requires activation. Their server was very busy last night (surprise surprise) but the activation recognized this and allow me to play on a temp license until they could authenticate my serial number.

On a different topic, here are some interesting statistical information valve is gathering. I like seeing the typical system people are playing the game with, and the balance between brands.

Suprising how many people are using AMD processors. I wonder what the total market numbers are between AMD and Intel these days.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
How did Valve get those numbers? From the registration/activation process?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, I agreed to a survey and my stats are among those you see. Others must have done the same, and that's how they get their numbers.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That's what I thought at 1st, then I looked at the other versions and it seems to be a specific language where they dont use the abbreviation SP for service pack...