HannsG 28" monitor...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What software? I have a samsung and couldn't find even an inf for it, all plug and play.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I use HannsG monitors in some of my classrooms. They're acceptable for that, but I wouldn't tolerate one for my personal use. I'd rather have something with higher contrast.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg if you do go for the Samsung look for the one with an HDTV tuner built in, it's about $269 I believe.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep:
Why get the tuner? I'm not a cable TV guy. I only watch shows off Hulu, and, a few others.
Last time we tried it, I got cable for the Olympics. I watched a boxing tape that was about 90 minutes, and, they put enough adds into it to make it run 3 plus hours. I figure they should pay ME a lot of money to put that many adds into my house.

The 200 dollar Samsung has the same specs as the 2233sw I'm watching right now, except bigger.

Real problem is a lot of stuff defaults to windows that are not wide screen, and, require considerably less then 1900 x 1080 resolutions. Still, I could use the 2233 as the secondary monitor, but the lowest it will run is 1280 x 720, and look sort of right.

As for my 'software' comment: Samsung has settings in the monitor that change for certain types of viewing: movie, sports, text, internet, and they seem pretty much right on.
With the Viewsonic I tried, I had to do that with software, set it up, and pretty much never change it, a royal pain.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Nah, the tuner is for OTA HD signals, you can receive via bunny ears (no monthly payments).

From what I recall you don't have an HD signal in your house, this would be a cost effective way of enjoying HDTV.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
22" to 24"? You'll get used to that in a few minutes.

I would tend to the 28" for bang for buck provided it doesn't have serious issues. Doesn't sound like you are doing critical work on it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You bring up some good points. The issue is once you get used to having two monitors, it is not fun going back to one.

Rabbit ears for HD? I do know we got no reception with the old type of signal, actually 3, fuzzy channels. Has HD changed the signal type, making it stronger, and, making free content avaliable?

I thought it was the reverse, that without cable, no tv with the new type signals...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The 22" rotated to portrait should line up pretty well with the 28" for dual screen actilon.

That's just what the cable co wants you to think. The signal is more all or nothing now. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS all broadcast in HD OTA. Antennaweb may help you with your specific address.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
The 22" rotated to portrait should line up pretty well with the 28" for dual screen actilon.

That's just what the cable co wants you to think. The signal is more all or nothing now. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS all broadcast in HD OTA. Antennaweb may help you with your specific address.

LOL, *all* USA OTA providers were *required* to stop broadcasts on the analog frequencies which were being transferred for use to other services/needs. All OTA in the USA is HD, by FCC requirements...we're you watching TV or reading the threads here :p ?

As far as what the websites and providers tell you, it's just a guide, don't believe what they tell you as absolute fact. I live on the westside of LA, in the Devils Triangle...least that's what I call it. Everything electronic here is back in the 19th century...almost. Street lights, this little area, unlike almost anywhere else in the city, has super long high-voltage cable runs (what the power guys doing the repairs told me) of the older 440v thinner plastic coat wires that periodically short-out and we lose street lights. And the power transformers in the area are also 40+yrs old, unable to keep up with the current overloads, that end up causing the streetlights to flicker/go on and off during stormy weather. And the friggin copper telephone lines with again, *much* longer than typical runs, have lots of filters inline for voice calls going back decades, which means DSL in this area is limited to the absolute slowest speeds, and often is not working at all. I could go on about the crappy water pipes, etc.

Now on to TV reception in the DT. Old analog OTA signals were plagued with ghosting 'multipath' signal interference, along with the typical 'snow' noise sparkles you'd get. HD signal, being digital does not suffer from those analog problems. So they tell you! What happens in reality, is HD suffers from a 'multipath' type of signal interference problems in the digital realm. The signal strength can vary just slightly enough that you don't lose the entire picture, what happens is you either get a temporary complete lost of signal strength and no picture, *or* you get pixel blocking (squares) from a weakened signal/tuner having problems rendering the image.

With very minor signal strength variations, you get these very small 'motion' artifact looking problems around the outlines of people or other areas of distinct contrast zones...hard to explain without showing you a video capture. so the OTA HD signal, if it's not strong, can be attenuated and interupted enough by physical barriers like mountains or tall appartment buildings or commercial real estate structures.

When HD was new in LA, every report I read about it being broadcast in NYC was raves, 'rabbit ears' could get you all those channels. I got a Samsung standalone tuner, and could only get a few UHF HD channels, and no VHF channels.

I have no idea what was done from that time and until recently when it was mandated that the transition would become permanent this summer. What I do know is the the newer HDTV's with built in tuners, could now get *almost* all of the former VHF station numbers in the lower ranges....except the lowest/formerly worst VHF analog station, CBS ch. 2 where the signal was just so borderline weak, the tuner could only grab an image and it would 'freeze' a frame and then go dark....most of the time. After HD went full time and the analog broadcasts were stopped, CBS ch. 2...or rather HD CBS ch. 2-1 came in just fine!

Well it was fine for months, recently it's been occasionally spotty, once in a while the signal will get weak enough to temporarily blank out the screen, but this could be a problem with the cheapo Visio TV's HD tuner, unable to lock on to the weaker HD signal.

This is from a antenna source on a roof, full sized deep fringe, directional antenna that should have been able to pull in the signal from distances many miles further than the straight line distance to Mt. Wilson.

So the answer is *maybe* you'll be able to receive the same HD stations that you formerly got on analog, or maybe the signal is strong enough in a straight line with no interference such that you get more channels than you could have received before. Those websites are only a guide, they told me I should be able to get lots more, really and fiction collide, lol.

HD is certainly sharper than old analog broadcast, but it's not all *that* impressive, IMHO...need 4k res TV to impress me.

As to the monitor, well there's always going to be something better coming out in another year or two or 5.

If you could afford it and don't mind perhaps some sluggish gaming problems, I-SPS LCD's are best (but dont' get an unknown brand as these run risks of more problems that warranties may not resolve...only good as the paper they are written on???)

From Handy's thread, down below:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Unfortunately the LG W2220P & W2420P IPS monitors announced very recently, have not been made available in N. American market.

NEC's lower priced, newly announced IPS 23in, 16:9 ratio LCD is yet to show up for sale.

^ http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=33125707

Which leaves the non-1920x1080 22in Dell monitor as the lowest priced IPS screen---was $200 earlier this year, now from Dell @$315 incl high Calif state sales tax. Some people love it, some hate it:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2267607

IPS "no-name" brand below that was on Newegg, and no longer...read the most recent customer review nightmare:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185010&CMP=AFC-C8Junction

^ according to one reviewer the DoubleSight 26in IPS uses an LG panel.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the antenna web link. It verified what I had found before: We had one, small analog 28 station in range prior to the change, and, with Digital, we now have 6 signals possible.

Monitor wise, I'm waiting. My 19" is in and out, and, I'll wait until it dies, or, I see a really great deal, which I've yet to see, except for the Samsung 2233SW at costco, for 159 dollars. Still, it's 21.5"

The 24" is barely any larger, when you look at it, and, 100 dollars more.

Costco still gives you their warranty on monitors, but not TV's, and, it's a big deal, since I've already had to return one Samsung with a bright green line...

Wonder if after Christmas????

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
uda - the FCC only mandates digital TV, not HD. It's up to the station to pay for HD switching equipment and go the whole hog.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, the monitor was REAL pink. I took the Sony in the other room, plugged it in to the Nvidia 9600 on the other computer, and it's working fine, so far.

I'm currently using two Samsung 2233's, hooked up to an ATI 1650. Weird thing is, the second monitor is displaying pretty well, at 1920 X 1080 hooked up through analog, since the card has only one DVI output. Other monitor is usually at 1280 x 720, but, I'm going to try both at 1920, right now...Seems to work fine. Now to try playing Transformers...

Seems to work great. Using Media Player Classic, I really don't get this. It's hardly hitting the processors, at all...under 15% nearly the whole time.

For what I'm doing, I don't see much point in changing anything right now...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
You bring up some good points. The issue is once you get used to having two monitors, it is not fun going back to one.

<Threadjack>
I've just started using two monitors at work. And for some things it's great, but I find the mouse travel it bit tiresome, plus the fact that the task bar is only on one monitor, makes bringing the application I want into focus a little bit tiresome sometimes. I find I'm typing in the wrong app, which has the potential to cause some havoc. It's just getting used to it I guess...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have had 2 monitors at work for the past 3 years, I find it indispensible. I recently setup 2 monitors at home and it's very helpful there as well.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I tried two monitors once and found it to be annoying. I can see the utility for dual monitors at the office when using multiple applications.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I tried two monitors once and found it to be annoying. I can see the utility for dual monitors at the office when using multiple applications.

Aren't you working in Photoshop a lot of the time? You could move all of your tools to the other monitor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Aren't you working in Photoshop a lot of the time? You could move all of your tools to the other monitor.

I tried that and it was problematic to move my field of view around all the time. Now it would be even worse since I need glasses for monitor distance (typical presbyopia).

ddrueding

Fixture
And two separate computers better than one ...

Err....no. Not in my case anyway. Having to worry about what software in what configuration is on which machine does my head in. I regularly ghost the machine at home from the machine at the office just to maintain some consistency.