Hard drive woes

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In the past year or so, I've installed over 150 Western Digital hard drives of various flavors. I've had 6 or 7 failures in that time ( I'm still checking the paper work)
I thought that was a little high, so I switched to Seagate. (our 'authorized' vender only handles, Hitachi, WD, Seagate, and Maxtor) Seagate recently upped their warranty to 5 years and the feeling here at SF put them at #2 behind Samsung.
Of the 22 Seagates I've installed since June, there have been 3 failures. This sucks.
So it's back to WD or maybe Hitachi. Any thoughts????

Bozo :mrgrn:

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
sechs said:
Unless you need some Western Digital door stops....

Don't you mean Seagate door stops? 3/22 is much worse than 7/150. ;)

Bozo, could the problem be environmental?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
LiamC said:

Or perhaps supernatural? :wink:

Do you hear moaning and the sound of rattling chains when you enter the server room?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
i said:
LiamC said:

Or perhaps supernatural? :wink:

Do you hear moaning and the sound of rattling chains when you enter the server room?
Or were the platters doing a 360 like Linda Blair's head in the Exorcist? :eek: Wait a minute, they're supposed to do that. :D

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
i said:

Yeah, they're the spirits of tortured and deceased SysAdmins--still at their posts! :lol:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Hitachi = good, but excessive vibration for a fluid bearing drive
WD, Seagate = average
Maxtor = unknown
Samsung = unavailable (but low vibration)

Good luck!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Those look like fairly typical failure figures from the days when we used Seagate and WD drives to me. I've often wondered, since we switched to 100% Samsung drives a few years ago, if the dramatic drop in our measured failure rates was largely an artifact of an industry-wide improvement that just hapened to coincide with our brand switch. (Well, no, I haven't wondered that all that often, as there two or three other lines of evidence that demonstrate that it ain't so - but the thought has at least crossed my mind.) Looking at your numbers, Bozo, it seems that I needen't bother asking myself the question anymore. Nothing has changed.