Hardware firewall / router

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
A few weeks ago the wife and I were re-arranging the basement office and unplugged our networking gear, and when we plugged in the old wireless router it failed to turn out. I tried a known-good outlet and power adapter, but the thing just would not come on. So I replaced it with an old 10 MBPS non-wireless router to keep us going for the time being.

I would like basic wireless access, either 802.11b or g. But what I would really like is a hardware firewall or some firmware that lets me shift the burden of network security from our personal computers to a single access point. So far I've been a network security novice, but I'd like to learn more. I suppose I could build a Smoothwall box, but is there any router that will do some good firewall-y things?

ddrueding

Fixture
What security features do you want? If you aren't hosting stuff inside, anything with NAT-ing capabilities should be as secure as anything else (no external ports open). Of course, if you are hosting stuff or want to VPN into your house, then a smoothwall would be a good idea.

The only thing I want that a WRT54G doesn't do is port translation (taking traffic from the outside IP and port xyz, and sending it to a specific internal IP as port wxy).