Haswell Cooling

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
For some reason I'm finding the 4790K to be running rather hotter than expected.
I assumed that the 5930K would be a cooling nightmare due to the 6 cores and OC from 3.5 to 4.5.
However, the 4790K is more of a problem although it is barely on the OC.
I've tried three HSFs and there is some improvement, but am not sure if it is normal.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You do remove the plastic layer at the bottom of the heatsinks before installing them, don't you?

A 4790K is not supposed to be very hard to cool, considering it's TDP rating is only 84W. If you don't overclock, even the retail heatsink should be enough.

LunarMist

You do remove the plastic layer at the bottom of the heatsinks before installing them, don't you?

A 4790K is not supposed to be very hard to cool, considering it's TDP rating is only 84W. If you don't overclock, even the retail heatsink should be enough.

I don't recall any plastic layer. The Cooling Master was better than the retail, but now the Zalman is on the CPU. At least it's not going up to 85°C anymore.

LunarMist

Since I cannot edict the post due to the bug...

What are you using for the voltages? I'm wondering if the defaults are not ideal or if the 2010 RAM (XMP 1.65V at 1600) has anything to do with it.
I was not planning to buy new RAM.

LunarMist

I noticed that the default voltage is 1.24, which is perhaps higher than needed. It's running cooler at 1.20V. I guess the voltage could go even lower if it is stable.

Stereodude

Not really a
Doesn't it automatically adjust the voltage based on a variety of factors? My Haswell certainly doesn't run at a constant voltage.

LunarMist

Doesn't it automatically adjust the voltage based on a variety of factors? My Haswell certainly doesn't run at a constant voltage.

Of course it goes lower, but I meant the ID voltage. That seems to be the max voltage under load. The BISO in this board is oddly arranged, so perhaps I am missing something.
What are your temperatures at 4.5GHz with the Intel burning test?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm able to cool my 4790K with my 6 year old Thermalright HSF with a 120mm PWM fan in the 65-70C range under long periods of Prime95 stress testing along with both GPUs at 100% to add heat in the case. Maybe you don't have a optimal layering of thermal compound or your case and/or fan setup is sub-optimal. How messy is the cabling in your case? Is it blocking air flow?

I could not get my Cooler Master 212 EVO to work in my setup. Installing it caused the computer to power cycle every 2 seconds no mater what I tried otherwise I'd offer a comparison.

LunarMist

On the prime 95 the temperatures are well into the 80 (deg C ;)) range after 40 minutes, but the CPU is stable.
I guess it's fine for normal use where the CPU is not very busy.

Handruin

Administrator
That still seems below the 100C maximum. It's higher than I would prefer but if seems within range. Are you overclocking the 4790K when you see these temps? If not, they're much higher than I'd expect for a 4790K with a decent cooler. You could try re-applying the thermal paste or buy a better brand of thermal paste if you didn't already.

LunarMist

That still seems below the 100C maximum. It's higher than I would prefer but if seems within range. Are you overclocking the 4790K when you see these temps? If not, they're much higher than I'd expect for a 4790K with a decent cooler. You could try re-applying the thermal paste or buy a better brand of thermal paste if you didn't already.

I tried several greaser jobs and types. The CPU is fixed at 4.5GHz on all cores with no throttling. The Cooling Master HSF would reach well over 90 deg. C, but the Zalman is about 10 degrees cooler. The temperatures during continuous raw file conversions are in the 50s or so. Frankly this "backup" system would be fine for 95% of users. It's 80-90% of the speed of the hexacore, though has less RAM.

I should probably leave the 4790K system well enough alone at this point, before I ruin something. :D

Stereodude

Not really a