Have you ever had the wrong OS on a box?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's just occured to me that I've got things backwards here. I have a gaming box with Windows 2003 Server Edition on it, and, my main machine has XP Pro on it.

The only thing stopping me from switching is, it would be an incredible amount of work setting up the Dual Xeons again. Come to think of it, I wonder where the drivers are for the SCSI SCA BOX? Makes me want to back everything up, now.

Anyone know where Gary's been?

Greg

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's nothing wrong with gaming on Server 2003. There's probably something wrong with your main machine being an XP box, but that's more a matter of your own poor taste.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio:
When I started out doing this, I wasn't ready to give MSFT 400 dollars for an OS.

2003 Server is not supported by a bunch of stuff. For example, Razer mouses software, only XP and 2000.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you of all people, what's so cool about 2003 Server. To sum it up, I think 2003 Server is what Windows should have been for a long time.

S

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
OMG, once I was on my way to school and I realized I HAD put the wrong OS on my box. Luckily my first class was gym and I had time to change it. It was an incredible amount of work setting up the dual Xeons again.
I thought things like this only happened to me.
j/k Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sechs:
Yes, tried it once, didn't like the Gigabyte motherboard, Nvidia 3 Chipset, IIRC, and wouldn't install. Finding drivers was a hassle, but, that machine had a Matrox video card, and a few other fairly old components, not in the mainstream.

Very funny Howell. :wink:

Come to think of it, installing 2003 Server, it might have the drivers for the SCA box, and Supermicro motherboard on it...
I wonder...

Is there a way to find out from MSFT which hardware components from a certain vendor has included drivers in an OS?

Thanks

Greg

Mercutio

Here's a hint: Build yourself a driver CD before you install the new OS.
Once the OS is installed, copy the drivers to a \drivers folder on the PC. Leave it there forever and never go hunting for drivers on the web again.

That's SOP for PCs I build.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio

that's a great idea, and, a great way to backup your drivers.
What is the exact address of the drivers file?

Thanks

Greg

Mercutio

I just use "C:\Drivers". Windows doesn't autodetect things (you can integrate drivers with slipstreaming, but that is complicated and obnoxious), but you know exactly where they are and can point it to the right place when prompted.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio:
Does Windows put all the drivers in one file, that you could copy, for a driver backup?

In other words, take the file, burn it to CD, with the installed drivers already there, rather then having to go searching for drivers?

Or, does it just have to be shown a path to a file, so the drivers can be all over the drive, in different files?

S