HD's to supplant SSD flash in <20+yrs? :p

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nanodot hard drives may be in our future

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34476/113/

Well I was going to CnP the whole article...but you'll just have to make an effort ;).

Scientists have had an age old desire to tap the world of the ultra-small. Today's smallest production microprocessors we're all familiar with exist on 45nm process technology for fabrication which, while very small, is still many scores of atomic layers thick. But imagine a storage device with the smallest components comprising only a few atoms, and one with the ability to change state very rapidly, 1000s of times faster than today's hard drives. That's just one potential of the monobubble nanodot.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting. Despite it's present wide-spread use, flash RAM is by no means necessarily the path to the future. Perhaps MRAM or something like this will be used instead. I don't see anything inherent in this technology which necessarily requires a spinning disk, though. I tend to think for reasons of power consumption, noise, durability, etc. that the idea of spinning disks is on its way out. It's just a matter of which of the many competing technologies will come out on top, or perhaps several of them will, depending upon the intended use.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
yeah, sure they say all jknids of nonsense decades aways. remebe when we would all have high density homographic strogae by 2002? Wher is my 100Gb credit card sized thimgmaJig for a few dollars?