help me decide which case to get

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
s-video vs component?

I notice a drastic change between RCA and s-video on my home TV when watching DVD's... but on the monitor I used to use at school it had component, composite and s-video... and I couldn't tell the difference between the component and s-video.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hehe... with all the talk of modding a case.. I decided to mode mine... but, since Merc wanted something I didn't think I could do very well, i decided just to paint my case a snazzy color.

I painted it "midnight metallic blue"... and i took off the floppy, power, reset, and optical drive buttons and painted them chrome. I also painted the entire optical drive fronts the midnight blue. I'm about to piece the computer back together.. I'll have pictures when I'm done.

bahngeist

What is this storage?
Cliptin said:
bahngeist said:
Ironically, I actually have a piece of furniture that comes close to that description ...

Could you take a picture of it?
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, but was out of town for awhile.

And unfortunately, I do not have a camera of any sort (My ex got those). I tried to find the name of the manufacturer of the table, but the receipt(s) I have weren't any help. What you may want to do is drop by a furniture store or two and browse through their catalogues -- these sometimes show multiple views that include dimensions.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
this is a decent looking case with a nice PSU design

http://www.caseoutlet.com/case/2688R/CS-2688R.html
http://www.caseoutlet.com/case/2699/images/AddonCard-1.pdf

fanless chassis, 55 watt PSU... uses VIA mobo and C3 processor... 1 PCI card support...

2688-Front-Side-View-700.jpg

2688-frontview-parts-600.jpg

honold

Storage is cool
fwiw, i own an older version of that case. the black ones are spraypainted or something, and it comes off on your hand. the overall design is not very good.

my via board's ethernet wouldn't function when it was plugged into that case/psu, but works fine in an antec powerplus case.

my 0.02 if you're going that route would be to suggest looking at www.mini-itx.com for other options

honold

Storage is cool
guy on the storagereview forums had the exact same problem as me. search around and you'll find the thread.

honold

Storage is cool
also should be noted the black slim cdroms they provide are incompatible with openbsd, but the white ones aren't

honold

Storage is cool
some kind of esoteric dma implementation thing

the system will actually fail to boot with it

works with linux

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I still haven't given up on my mission-style case idea, but I ran across these on slashdot just now and, wow, are they ever gorgeous, particularly, I think, the antec. Wow. Little expensive for my tastes but... wow.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck, I know you like the Addtronics WTX, but how much do you like it? What don't you like about it? Elucidate, please?!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
Buck, I know you like the Addtronics WTX, but how much do you like it? What don't you like about it? Elucidate, please?!

For me, the biggest advantage of the Addtronics W8500 case is the amount of space inside. It will support full-size AT, ATX, and WTX boards - with room to spare. There is room for a lot of 80-mm and 92-mm fans. There are 5 external 5.25" drive bays, 5 internal 3.6" drive bays, and 1 external 3.5" drive bay. The case is very sturdy can comes with two sets of casters for mobility. The hinged butterfly doors open the entire side panel and are removable. Also, since the case is opposite from usual ATX cases, the CPUs end up at the bottom of the case, right in the pathway of 4 80-mm exhaust fans, 3 92-mm intake fans, and 1 80-mm intake fan. Having things turned around also shortens the distance between controller cards and drives. I also like the front snap-on bezel, since it removes easily while the system is powered on, which allows me to clean the fan filter without shutting the system off. I like the drive rails for the 5.25" slots, especially since they screw down. The removable 3.5" drive bay with a dedicated fan is nice too.

Those are some of the pluses for me, on the downside, since the case is so large and has so much room inside, full length cards don't have support on the opposite end of the backplane.