HELP!!! Need Pioneer DVD 305S jumper settings!!!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm trying to reconfigure my computer, amd 1.4 ghz, Athlon, and add firewire, and change the scsi setups.

However, I can't find the jumper settings anywhere for the Pioneer DVD player.

I have had problems writing with the Plexwriter 12/10/32s, and Roxio adaptec Easy CD creator 4.0, and, my Plextor 40X scsi reader.

I figured rather then buy a $130 granite digital cable, I would connect only the DVD player, using the granite digital cable I do have, and connect a firewire La Cie CDRW.

So far, I can't get the writers to see disks inserted, and the same is true with the firewire CD-rw. In other words, I have the disks in the Plextor writer, and in the DVD player. However, the drives show up as unknown devices in device manager, and, when I click on my computer, the drives don't show up at all. It's like they aren't mounting.

Any ideas? I think it's termination, but, what's throwing me is the firewire card isn't working either.

The ide channels on the motherboard don't work, so I can't hook up an ide drive, thanks promise. It's an Asus 266 a7m if IRC.

Thanks

gs

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
But how's that possible Greg? SCSI's so superior to IDE, everything should be a breeze to setup and always work flawlessly, no?
Santilli said:
However, I can't find the jumper settings anywhere for the Pioneer DVD player.
Try this printed document file, page 8.

Santilli said:
The ide channels on the motherboard don't work, so I can't hook up an ide drive, thanks promise.
Your motherboard only has IDE channels tru the Promise controller? Doubtful. If I check the manual for the Asus A7M266 (which is most likely your motherboard), there's not even an on-board Promise controller. Just use the channels provided by the Via 686B south bridgge and you should be able to use any IDE drive.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Shouldn't need drivers for a FW enclosure unless he's running win98 or somesuch.

Perhaps try Nero or another burning program apart from the Roxio/Adaptec crap?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I don't think this is a scsi problem, but a mother board problem.

I have two open slots, and I've connected both a firewire card, and a scsi
Adaptec AIC-7850 card. I've put both in these two slots, and niether one works. Windows 2000 has drivers for the card, and for the drives, both the firewire, and the the DVD, Plextorwriter, and plextor reader.

It's worked fine in the past, but the burning was getting worse and worse, so I figured I'd pull the chain apart, check termination, and perhaps replace the cable. I do have one Granite Digital cable, and I figured the problem might be bad cabling. If that was the case, I would terminate one drive, connect it to the card, and use an external firewire enclosure that has worked great on my mac.

At least I could narrow down the problem to which drive wasn't working.

It appears it's not the drives, but either the cards, both, or the motherboard. My money is on the motherboard, since neither my Scsi, or my firewire cards work in those slots.

I wonder if it could also be an os problem corrupted system that needs reinstall, but, I can't do that without a CDrom, and, with 4 drives, none of them work.

By the way, if I connect a CD to the motherboard connections, the machine blue screens.

I guess this means the redesign is going to happen this year, not next.

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
One other quick note. The adaptec card is supposed to be either a 2906 or 2930. Is the Aic-7850 driver right for this device.?

gs

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Santilli said:
The adaptec card is supposed to be either a 2906 or 2930. Is the Aic-7850 driver right for this device?
Yes, it is. The AIC-7850 is the chip used for both of these cards according to my short research on Adaptec's site.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I took the settings from the documents provided. Apparently when the device was installed, the rpc wasn't set. I just did that, terminated the drive, changed slots with the card, and restarted. The card shows up, in device manager, the DVD player shows up as 'unknown' but working properly in device manager.

Very strange.

Same result when I install the Firewire card.

Weird.

gs