hey, doc...

ddrueding

Fixture
There's at least one aspiring MD in here, perhaps more. Here's a "hardware" question I'm unqualified to answer:

How can I get my tonsils to stop swelling? The dang things are becoming a nussaince at this point, making swallowing anything quite painfull (orange juice especially, go figure)

I've been quite sick the last few days,but everything else is recovering nicely. I'm leaving for china in about 14 days, and would really prefer to be "in the clear" by then.

TIA

Gilbo

Storage is cool
A simple anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen or Aspirin should be adequate. It'll reduce the swelling. It'll also kill the pain a little. Take them regularly (as suggested) over the course of the day to get the full anti-inflammatory effect.

Anecdotally, for a while, --not sure why, I might have had mono or something strange--, I was getting frequent sore throats from cycling. No serious infection, just swollen tonsils and a fair bit of pain, no other symptoms, and Ibuprofen would always fix things like new. This happened for something like two months every week or so.

It was pretty damn annoying actually. Stupid body was behaving like a goddamn Compaq vomit-box. Or ATI's linux drivers...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
How can I get my tonsils to stop swelling?

You only have one tonsil, so I'll presume that you're really refering to you adenoids. Cutting them out works well... although you might prefer to go with Gilbo's answer.

Keep in mind that most NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen and aspirin, cause stomach and intestinal issues, and may thin your blood when used for extended periods. You can also wear them out as pain killers.

If in doubt, see a doctor.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had problems like that for years. The ear, nose, and throat Dr said when they become swollen and painful, it's a sign that there is something else going on. I'd get to a doctor fast. You wouldn't want to start your trip feeling sh*tty.
Evne anti-biotics take time to work.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Perhaps I'm the aspiring MD you're referring to. I am in fact a third year med student.

If you're getting over a cold and you have a sore throat hanging on, you can try some simple things recommended by the AAO. If this is not a simple nuisance, or an isolated problem, go see a doctor. There are some nasty things that can cause throat pain which can kill.[/url]

Adcadet

Storage Freak
sechs said:
ddrueding said:
How can I get my tonsils to stop swelling?

Keep in mind that most NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen and aspirin, cause stomach and intestinal issues, and may thin your blood when used for extended periods. You can also wear them out as pain killers.

If in doubt, see a doctor.

Actually just a single dose of aspirin can screw up clotting for 3-5 days since it irreversibly acetylates cyclo-oxygenase in platelets. Functional restoration requires new platelets, hence 3-5 days (the life of a platelet is about 10 days in most people).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Who is taking enough aspirin at once for that to be a health issue?

(We probably don't want those folks in our gene pool, anyway.)

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Don't some people at risk for heart attacks take aspirin daily as a preventative measure? I'm sure their genes are just fine.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
JKKJ said:
Don't some people at risk for heart attacks take aspirin daily as a preventative measure? I'm sure their genes are just fine.
Dïscfärm said:
Their genes are probably faded and full of holes -- especially the knee genes.
Sheesh. 81mg a day is inconsequential enough to not be a problem and consequential enough to have some benefit. (I know you're only joking, Dïscfärm, but I had to throw that in there). Besides, those on a regimen take buffered aspirin, so even their stomachs are not full of holes, let alone their niece. I've been on it since ~ 1990.

ddrueding

Fixture
mubs said:
Besides, those on a regimen take buffered aspirin, so even their stomachs are not full of holes, let alone their niece. I've been on it since ~ 1990.

I was trying to think of a corny joke that would fit this and gave up. Something about being on your niece and full of holes....

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I had a few in mind, but I'd never post them here. :)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been taking 325mg asprin everyday for over 6 years now. All I have is the normal holes. My niece is just fine too. :D

Bozo :mrgrn:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey Casanova Drueding, back off from my niece! I had to play with the words to irritate Discy! (Where did he get the "holes in knees because of aspirin" idea???)

ddrueding

Fixture
mubs said:
Hey Casanova Drueding, back off from my niece! I had to play with the words to irritate Discy! (Where did he get the "holes in knees because of aspirin" idea???)

Oh, I'm sorry, she is your neice? I had no idea! I swear! 8)

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, the pain has migrated from the tonsil to approx an inch in from my adam's apple. It can get really bad when I talk. Virus aren't this targeted, right? So starting a run of antibiotics would be a good idea?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Really, see a doctor. You need to take care of this before taking a trip.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
ddrueding said:
Well, the pain has migrated from the tonsil to approx an inch in from my adam's apple. It can get really bad when I talk. Virus aren't this targeted, right? So starting a run of antibiotics would be a good idea?

To me your symptoms as presented seem entirely consistent with a bacterial or viral infection, or something else entirely. Best to see a doctor, and sooner rather than later.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Yes, many people take a small dose of aspirin daily for prevention of coronary heart disease (although the risk/benefit ratio is questionable for low- and moderate-risk patients). But even a small dose can be very nasty for some people. Imagine someone with Von Willebrand Disease, the most ocmmon bleeding disorder, taking aspirin then having a bleeding challenge.