Highest Bridge in the World

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The Millau Viaduct is due to be completed in the next month or so. It's likely to be one of the wonders of the modern world.

At 245m above ground level, the deck is nearly four times higher than the deck of the Golden Gate Bridge. That's about 80 stories! Overall height is 336m. It's difficult to find a photograph that does it justice - the scale is just too hard to convey (this pic includes the temporary piers used during construction).

Check out the hydraulic system used to "push the 4000 ton deck out into space".

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah they showed that whilst it was under construction a few weeks ago on DiscoveryHD, an Extreme Engineering episode, awesome sight. It was when they were moving the whole deck to link up the two sides.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Good pictures Time. I read about this bridge at the BBC yesterday. They have some nice pictures with the valley floor flooded with fog and the bridge towers majestically towering above. However, in my opinion, the pictures you linked to are more realistic and show what a scare this beast is on the landscape. I understand they have horrible traffic problems that need to be resolved (and this is probably the best solution at this time), but when you look at how beautiful that region of France is, this man-made contraption just doesn't fit.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Thanks for reminding me of this. We saw this in the distance when visiting there last year, and I never followed up on what it was.

It really is BIG.

We were stuck in traffic at the time, and had a deadline so couldn't do much other than marvel at its size. The traffic down there really is bad from what I understand (and saw), and it's a busy commercial corridor, so they needed to do something. While it may not fit into the landsacape, you can drive not too far to get into some beautiful remote bits.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
So, how long until:

1. People bungee-jump from it?
2. Someone jumps off to commit suicide?
3. 1 + 2 combined? :eekers:

Dïscfärm

It's gotten so bad lately that the police have recently resorted to writing citations to all those attempting to fish off this bridge.

_40628937_millaufog_afp300.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
I think that's one of the most beautiful bridges I've ever seen. And I had the Golden Gate out my living room window for a year.

I agree that the area is beautiful, but I don't think this bridge negatively impacts it.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Dïscfärm said:
It's gotten so bad lately that the police have recently resorted to writing citations to all those attempting to fish off this bridge.

Fishing? For birds, perhaps.

Oh, and if we're starting relevant quotes, how about:

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'd be interested in the why (the location, height, type of bridge etc.) if anyone has a link.

The terrain would have to be very unsuitable for 50 miles either side of the location for such a bridge to be constructed (I'd have thought).

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Time's first link said:
Located in southern France, the bridge will connect the motorway from Paris to Barcelona at the point where it is interrupted by the River Tarn, which runs through a wide gorge between two plateaus. A reading of the topography suggested two possible approaches: to cross the river, the geological generator of the landscape; or there was the challenge of spanning the 2.5 kilometers from one plateau to the other in the most economical manner.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC said:
I'd be interested in the why (the location, height, type of bridge etc.) if anyone has a link.

The terrain would have to be very unsuitable for 50 miles either side of the location for such a bridge to be constructed (I'd have thought).

IIRC the route is part of a national highway, basically this is the only part that required you to do the zig-zag thing down one valley, thru a tiny town with very narrow streets, then back up the zig zag on the other side. The bridge basically cuts out a couple of hours drive time in peak conditions. Toll is around 8 Euro I think.

GIANT

i said:
Dïscfärm said:
Fishing? For birds, perhaps.

Just a bit of absurd humour on my part. But, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually some transportation minister somewhere the highly regulatory French government realised one day that there were no signs posted on the bridge saying "No Fishing Allowed" (or "Peche Interdite") and had them posted.

Pradeep said:
IIRC the route is part of a national highway, basically this is the only part that required you to do the zig-zag thing down one valley, thru a tiny town with very narrow streets, then back up the zig zag on the other side. The bridge basically cuts out a couple of hours drive time in peak conditions.

Likely there's some cafe owners and garage owners that wish the bridge never happened -- as in sudden ghost town.

JKKJ

LiamC said:

Gorges du Tarn