Hitachi 1 TB drive

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Very nice at $399, I was expecting it to be more than that, given the pricing of the 750GB.

Handruin

Administrator
I just read the same news on Digg and was about to post it and saw it was already posted. Very nice to see the price is reasonable for that size drive.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Maybe the 750MB drives will be substantially less expensive in a few months. Is this a 5x200 or 4x250 drive?

LunarMist

I guess it will be only about 910GB, but still...

LunarMist

Less than about 120GB seems to be a throwaway now. I have about 39 drives, mostly 200-750GB with an average 250-300GB. More 750GB and larger drives would be nice.

Stereodude

Not really a
The unfortunate part is the drive had 5 platters and 10 heads. For some odd reason 5 platter drives don't seem as robust or reliable.

LunarMist

My 5-platter 500GB Hitachi (or was that Hibachi? :)) seems to be fine.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
That is doubitaful. iBM/Hichati usallu makes only larger incermental changes that the compeeeitors. I ecpext their next drive will be 1.5tB or more capacious.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll wait for the Seagate 4-platter design, TYVM.

But yes, 1TB drives should be bought on principle. They are way cooler than even 950GB drives ;)

Although my estimation of Hitachi is going up substantially, their model HV-250R is particularly nice.

LunarMist

I'll wait for the Seagate 4-platter design, TYVM.

But yes, 1TB drives should be bought on principle. They are way cooler than even 950GB drives ;)

Although my estimation of Hitachi is going up substantially, their model HV-250R is particularly nice.

I am particularly interested in the low power modes of the 7K1000. Are they controlled by the drive or through drivers, controller firmware, or what? The newer Hitachi drives have substantially lower 12V startup currents than other brands, which is nice, and the slower spinup is not a problem.

Ted

What is this storage?
More interested in what the price of these new monsters once introduced will do to push down price on smaller drives such as the 400 and 500GB models. That and a 5 platter drive (particularly) from Hitachi still sounds alarm bells. $399 though does have some appeal. :)

Stereodude

Not really a
The IBM/Hitachi guy I talked to about this 1TB monster at CES insisted that Hitachi had the best reliability in the industry with their last several series of drives. I was really tempted to ask him about the 75GXP and 60GXP, but resisted.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
lenght of warranty doe not necceasitriy equate to reliabilitky. It is a busness decsion to inspire the confiendce of consumers.

fb

Storage is cool
You're right. I've had maybe 4-5 IBM/HGST drives and they have all been working fine until I replaced them with bigger drives. So I don't really doubt their reliability. But it can be fun to mess with the sales person when they come with these kind of statements. :D

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
All eight of my 45GB 75GXP's are still running or have been pulled from service because they were too small. I never had an IBM drive failure ... Now that can't be said of WD or Maxtor.

fb

Storage is cool
I've only had a Fujitsu and a Quantum fail on me (I've stayed away from WD), but the Fujitsu was a MPG 3409 AH, so it was kind of expected. :)

Stereodude

Not really a
All eight of my 45GB 75GXP's are still running or have been pulled from service because they were too small. I never had an IBM drive failure ... Now that can't be said of WD or Maxtor.
The only one from those two series I had (45GB) died on me. Every person I know "in real life" who owned a 75GXP/60GXP had them fail as well. At my last job all the Dell notebooks we had were powered by some 20GB IBM model and like clockwork they all failed too. I've stayed away from IBM/Hitachi since. I've had Maxtor and WD fail on me also, but they were in a much less dramatic fashion and not 100% of them. So far, I've never had a Seagate fail on me, but I only started buying them within the past 6 months. I've also gotten religious about putting fans by the drives to keep HDs cool, and it seems to help.

Still, I'd be willing to try the 1TB Hitachi's (cause I'd have 2 in RAID-1).