Ho-Hum year(2005) for hard drives

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A 300GB SATA drive from Samsung would make me a happy camper. I'll probably get a .5TB brick from Hitachi. That will help, too.

But what I really want is for SATA ports to sprout and bloom all over the motherboards of 2005. The last few years spoiled me as I filled PC after PC up with 8 PATA drives on the onboard and RAID controllers of midrange motherboards like the GA-7VAXP.

My new machines are lucky to get 5 drives between PATA and SATA. I'm telling you all right now that 700GB sounds like a lot only until you're using it all.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
About the only major developments in the last few years have been increasing areal density and SATA. Lately even areal density hasn't gone up by much. Seek times, power consumption, and spindle speeds have remained more or less the same. Any real speed improvements are a result of increasing data localization due to higher data density.

I seriously don't expect anything that exciting on the data storage front until MRAM or something similar becomes cheap enough and dense enough to use for mass storage. Until then, maybe all we'll see are 200 GB platters and lower noise floors. Sure, these are impressive technical accomplishments in themselves, but they're more evolutionary than revolutionary.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
What's the driving force for storage these days? Is it just more space?

Mercutio

The connector issue is supposedly going to be addressed for SATA2 devices.

The more pressing annoyance I have with Serial ATA is the lack of consideration that's given to providing users with data cables. I've bought quite a few motherboards recently that don't come with any, despite the two SATA ports staring at me on the PCB. That's deeply annoying.
As a result I spend a lot of time scrambling to find another cable. The screwdriver shop nearest my house - and Yo-Ho what a bunch of dirty pirate whores THEY are - charges $8 for one of the goddamn things.
Worse yet, I've actually had to pay it.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
SATA is a non-event, a solution in search of a problem.

Besidez, the connectors suck.
I agree Tea. I just mentioned it because so little has been happening with hard drives these last few years that, well, I had to mention something else besides higher areal density and less noise.

I have yet to own a SATA drive. I just don't see any compelling reason to. And yes, the connectors suck. :mrgrn:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually I'd still like to see 20GB high speed SATA or PATA hard drives. Maybe 10,000RPM and extreamly fast seek times. These would be great as boot drive or (in our case) only use about ~6-10 GB of space on a drive.

Or, how about some quality and reliability? :-?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Samsung seems to have that part down pretty well.

I'm not sure about 20GB drives. 10k 40GB drives would be nice, if they didn't say Western Digital on them.

Actually, I'd be extremely happy to get 20GB drives... if they were built to Samsung's current level of quality and cost about $30 apiece as a new part. That would be a home run for bringing down the cost of a business desktop.

ddrueding

Fixture
Seems to be that time again for me as well, though my storage needs aren't as extreme as some of yours. When I encode DVDs using AutoGK, I shrink them to 2GB. Excessive I know, but I'd like to be able to re-sample them back to DVDs without loss. And for audio I'm still happy with 320Kbps ABR. 1TB to start with and 2TB expansion should be enough for me. I'm looking for a SATA card capable of RAID-5 expansion.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think 2.5" desktop drives will be the future, eventually.