Holy Hurricane, Batman!

ddrueding

Fixture
If buildings and other structures are to be rated effectively, there needs to be a way to describe the full range. Doesn't the amount of energy increase with the square of the wind speed?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
If buildings and other structures are to be rated effectively, there needs to be a way to describe the full range. Doesn't the amount of energy increase with the square of the wind speed?
The amount of force increases with the square of the wind speed. And I'd guess the system currently stops at category 5 because there are few hurricanes powerful enough to merit another category (although that may change as we're leaving a century of relatively low hurricane activity-hence the proposed changes) AND most structures would be destroyed with >155 mph winds anyway.

As for rating structures, generally large buildings are designed with very high wind speeds in mind. IIRC the WTC towers could withstand 175 mph winds although that was mostly a consequence of needing to withstand the high gravity loads. The windows on our house are rated for 170 mph (that's wind only, not flying debris). However, I highly doubt the rest of the structure would hold up so it's moot (the roof is probably the weak part). BTW, one of my pet peeves are inadequate building codes in hurricane prone areas. If people insist on living in these areas, they should build structures which don't need to be rebuilt (usually at taxpayer expense) every time a major hurricane blows through.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I think Orleans really dodged a bullet on that one. Talk about almost taking dead aim at the levees.

One of the things I really didn't like seeing during the leadup was the political appearances made by some prior to the storm's hit. Useless jackasses should stay out of the way and not be a distraction.

In regards to the oil & gas markets, I found the action to be (academically speaking) quite interesting:

During the week, oil ran up during the day and pulled back over night on several occasions. During the day on Fri (or at least IIRC it was Fri), IEA released an announcement that they would release the strategic reserves if there was any damage caused by the storm, and this seemed to placate the market .... what a bunch of fools ... if there really were to be significant damage, strategic reserves won't mean jack squat, and the price would have taken off considerably ... meanwhile, despite the holiday weekend, combined with the fact that many were still on summer vacation, trading levels and prices seemed awefully anemic given that all the weather models were now screaming a good chance for a monster hit.

Then there is that little curiousity of the NYMEX having a special earlier opening for the electronic marketplace on Sunday (2-2:30 PM pre, and the 2:30 open, as opposed to usual 6PM). I've heard two compelling arguments for this - 1) they didn't want to lose trades to ICE and 2) some folks of some influence were heavily short and were beginning to crap their pants. I'm going to go with 2. The reason being -- before the storm had even hit, the talking heads and media were all ready doing their best to convince everyone that oil would fall immediately to $100 if there was no damage. And since then, Mon, I've seen numerous pronuoncements of $100 oil, spoken as if it were already at that level! Only, here's the thing - oil has pretty much held steady between 108-110 range over the last couple of days.

Now I do believe that there has been a lot of global demand destruction, and so, $100 is not unphantomable, to me. But there are a number of things (including the non-reaction when Russia invaded Georgia) that strike me as being signs of vested short interests trying their darn hardest to create a self fullfilling prophecy. The fact that oil hasn't dropped leads me to wonder if Gustav actually did a little more damage then is being lead on...though, it could equally indicate hesitation until damage uncertainty is removed, and a further retraction begins.

Anyway, likely a number of hedge funds are going to take a hit on this turning out to be a "non-event" for the infrastructure and, therefore, price levels. Although I'm not sure if its known what positions they held, I'm thinking that Ospraie probably made a last ditch effort to keep their flagship fund afloat with a long bet on Oil. Others are likely to follow suit. I know there are a number of short interests that would like nothing better for oil to continue to plunge and plough speculative hedgefunds out of existence.

Cheerio.....you may have won this time American oil infrastructure, but I'l be back ... with even more hurricanes!

PS - For those who might be remotely interested, I offset on Sunday afternoon for a small profit --- I didn't like the speed a which Gustav was coming in at (too fast to gain up a huge punch), and the minor price run up was indicative of just shorts covering, as opposed to lots of folks jumping in going long, so I bailed.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Typhoon is tse natures way of redistributing the waters abnd filth on the earth. :) Humans nd the stryctures are bit of scom on the crsut they say.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is the NO afflicted this year? Did they ever have the plumbing system or water fixed since the last Toronada?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Is the NO afflicted this year? Did they ever have the plumbing system or water fixed since the last Toronada?

Looks like this time around whilst the strength of the tornado is less, the stalling of the movement is causing more rain than last time. I guess this time they had school buses to evacuate those that wanted to leave.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And by "correct" you mean the side that wants to kill people they disagree with. Got it.

Not kill so much as pound some tiny bit of understanding that their objectivist ranting has no basis in reality when they magically discover that they do in fact need assistance from the government to survive.
But you're right: I wish nothing but misery on anyone with your particular political philosophies. Not because it makes me happy, but because people like you are responsible for the misery of so many others.