HomoLED

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is the reasonable lifetime of the Samsung HomoLED displays? I'm concerned about using the screensaver type of app like NoLED that moves some text and lights around the screen permanently when it is plugged in, as compared to the display being totally off after a few minutes. Is it safe to use them?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
AMOLED. OLED is suposed to be something like 5 years. AMOLED is likely to last longer? Maybe. I would be more concerned with burn in, which is also an unknown for me.

Sol

Storage is cool
Custom roms like Cyanogen use the back lights on the back and menu buttons of some Samsung phones as notification lights. That works pretty well on my Galaxy S and is probably preferable to something that has keep part of the CPU and graphics chip running to keep its notification going (especially if it's moving the notifications around).

Wikipedia says that OLEDs will dim to half their original brightness in about 14000 hours. I don't think that's incredibly recent though so it's probably somewhat longer for modern phone screens. In any case, over the expected lifetime of most phones I think you'd have to have some pixels lit something like 2/3rds of the time to see any significant differences. On the other hand if you tend to get messages or something as you're going to bed and don't check them until the morning then you're already maybe half way there.

LunarMist

OK, the device has the super AMOLED plus display.

LunarMist

This makes me wonder about tablets. There is nothing mentioned about the LED type. I assume they are not the same kind.

Stereodude

Not really a
Tablets have LCD displays with LED backlights not OLED displays. For the most part only some phones have OLED displays.

LunarMist

So I should be able to leave it on continuously for long periods.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If Lunar's charming malapropisms were corrected, some of the flavor would be lost. We all know what homoleds and hibachis are. :)

LunarMist

What is the issue with homogeneous or homologous or similar words? I thought there was a uniformity of structure at some level, when in fact the structure is amorphous.

Hibachi is a different issue. Someone else coined that word to describe the heat emitted by the typical Hitachi 7200 RPM drives.

LunarMist

The only trouble I had was remembering the technology acronym.