HOT

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Summer is here folks. At least in my little slice of hell. It's going to be 108 on Tuesday. 42c in May sucks. I'm hoping it doesn't actually get that hot.

ddrueding

Fixture
80F+ and spending the next two days outside doing photo portraits. In a long-sleeved shirt and black slacks (dress code). Sucks.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
You know what sucks about sitting on the porch at 11pm and watching the rain and listen and seeing the thunder and lightning...Having to go back into the house cause it's still too goddamn hot outside.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Summer is finally here in the valley of the sun, aka fiery hell. We've actually had a late start to summer this year and it actually rained in June. But all that is over now and it's hot as F.

Link.

sedrosken

Florida Man
My aunt's house has an uncooled sun room (converted deck) and without the windows open it can get up to a blistering 150 or so degrees F in there.

Highs tend to be around 85 to 90 around here right now.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yikes, that's not a room I'd want to even walk into. I'm guessing it's not built with glass that blocks the vast majority of the Sun's IR energy.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My aunt's house has an uncooled sun room (converted deck) and without the windows open it can get up to a blistering 150 or so degrees F in there.

Highs tend to be around 85 to 90 around here right now.

150° is just crazy. An older person could die in there. Was it not built to code?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually temperatures can start to become dangerous even as low as the 90s if humidity is high. Anything much over about 100 to 110 is incompatible with human life in the long run.

ddrueding

Fixture
Or, don't go to places that aren't supportive of human life. I had found a map somewhere of all places on earth where the average low is above 50F (10C) and the average high below 86F (30C). I live in one of these places and can highly recommend it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Can you share that map? In 20 - 30 years, it will need updating, with this global warming shit.

I can't find it, but I'd be interested in seeing it again. IIRC, it was mainly tiny slivers along the ocean in a specific range of longitutes, adjusted for ocean currents.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
When you consider that residences typically hold a temperature of maybe 20°F to 30°F above ambient due to insulation and power dissipation from various appliances you can probably drop the lower end of your range to 40°F or 50°F, perhaps even 30°F for a very well insulated home. It's also worth noting with passive solar heating even colder climates might be tolerable. The problems in my opinion start in places where it gets much warmer than 75°F to 80°F much of the time. You can open windows and so forth, but eventually you hit the point where you need active cooling.

I've heard with global warming by 2100 probably the southern half of the US won't really be for for human habitation any more, at least unless you consider being forced to remain in an air-conditioned environment 24/7 "habitable". As things stand now, I frankly consider anything more than a few hundred miles south of NYC barely habitable.

I don't know anything about the country or government, but the climate in La Paz, Bolivia sounds like close to my ideal. Average highs all year round are in the 50s, average lows in the high 20s to high 30s. A well insulated house with passive solar heating would probably be comfortable year round. It looks like there would almost never be any need whatsoever for air conditioning with record highs for most months being in the low 70s.

NYC with La Paz's climate would be my ideal place to live.

LunarMist

Or, don't go to places that aren't supportive of human life. I had found a map somewhere of all places on earth where the average low is above 50F (10C) and the average high below 86F (30C). I live in one of these places and can highly recommend it.

I did for some years and would not recommend it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't have functional air conditioning at home. I put huge bowls of water in front of fans in the rooms where I spend my time during the summer. My computers just get hot, so I turn their fans up to a higher setting and live with hot computers.

Fortunately, it hasn't gotten that warm so far this year. I don't even really notice until the indoor temperature hits 95F (35C for you metric people). It definitely will get that warm at some point but I'll live.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
7 billion people living in "tiny slivers along the ocean in a specific range of longitutes [sic]" sounds awful.

LunarMist

7 billion people living in "tiny slivers along the ocean in a specific range of longitutes [sic]" sounds awful.

It's awful and ridiculous. Humans are not bacteria or other life forms that need to live in such a limited climate.
They have become the dominant species by altering the local environment to meet biological requirements.
Even the Homo erectus had fire.

LunarMist

I don't have functional air conditioning at home. I put huge bowls of water in front of fans in the rooms where I spend my time during the summer. My computers just get hot, so I turn their fans up to a higher setting and live with hot computers.

Fortunately, it hasn't gotten that warm so far this year. I don't even really notice until the indoor temperature hits 95F (35C for you metric people). It definitely will get that warm at some point but I'll live.

Dare I ask why you do not have the A/C repaired or purchase a new one?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Dare I ask why you do not have the A/C repaired or purchase a new one?
My first answer was going to be maybe the electrical lines aren't up to par to carry the load but given all the computers Merc runs that's highly unlikely. Either it's a central air unit for the entire building which the landlord refuses to fix, or this is one of those buildings which for some unfathomable reason has a clause in the lease forbidding an air conditioner. A lot of buildings in NYC which might have utilities included in the rent either forbid high power appliances like A/Cs, or add a surcharge to the rent for each A/C you have. You would be surprised at the number of people here in apartments without A/C. Most just go downstairs and open a fire hydrant if it gets really hot. Or spend time in an air-conditioned store.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My first answer was going to be maybe the electrical lines aren't up to par to carry the load but given all the computers Merc runs that's highly unlikely. Either it's a central air unit for the entire building which the landlord refuses to fix, or this is one of those buildings which for some unfathomable reason has a clause in the lease forbidding an air conditioner. A lot of buildings in NYC which might have utilities included in the rent either forbid high power appliances like A/Cs, or add a surcharge to the rent for each A/C you have. You would be surprised at the number of people here in apartments without A/C. Most just go downstairs and open a fire hydrant if it gets really hot. Or spend time in an air-conditioned store.

My apartment is supposed to support two window units. The landlord provided one is only rated for 3000BTUs or something. It can barely cool my living room. I'm not allowed to replace it. My specific apartment simply doesn't have the other space I should have for a window unit. Since I'm right over the landlord's demo unit, I've been told that I can't make any cosmetic changes to the exterior of my apartment, so portable ACs are out unless I want to run a hose to my bathroom or kitchen. Functionally, I don't have AC.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Then wouldn't that be a legal requirement for them to maintain the premises?
I think you know that in California, it is illegal not to provide heating, but not mandatory to provide cooling. Decades ago, when I lived in Fullerton in a rented apartment, such was the case; heating (only in the single bedroom) and no cooling.

My apartment is supposed to support two window units. The landlord provided one is only rated for 3000BTUs or something. It can barely cool my living room. I'm not allowed to replace it. My specific apartment simply doesn't have the other space I should have for a window unit. Since I'm right over the landlord's demo unit, I've been told that I can't make any cosmetic changes to the exterior of my apartment, so portable ACs are out unless I want to run a hose to my bathroom or kitchen. Functionally, I don't have AC.
That sucks, Merc :(

LunarMist

I think you know that in California, it is illegal not to provide heating, but not mandatory to provide cooling. Decades ago, when I lived in Fullerton in a rented apartment, such was the case; heating (only in the single bedroom) and no cooling.

Of course A/C is not mandatory if the unit does not have it, but I thought that everything in a unit as leased was supposed to be maintained.
When I was stationed in the PR there was A/C, but no heat.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That really sucks. Here is an interesting idea if your tap water is relatively cool in the summer. I think they might also make regular air conditions where the condenser is cooled with tap water instead of a fan and heat exchanger.

I personally feel very uncomfortable once a room gets much past 80°F, perhaps even at lower temperatures if the humidity is as high as is typical in NYC. I don't think I could be functional and productive for the hottest 4 months of the year without A/C. Incidentally, the evaporative cooling thing you're doing now wouldn't work at all where I live. The humidity is just too high to effectively lower the air temperature by evaporating water.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
You know what sucks about sitting on the porch at 11pm and watching the rain and listen and seeing the thunder and lightning...Having to go back into the house cause it's still too goddamn hot outside.

This time the rain came at 4 a.m., and again it was too hot outside to enjoy it.

LunarMist

Only 105 yesterday. Have not gone out yet, but will be in the sun for a few hours. Maybe pass out.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Finally cooling off a bit. It will be under the 110s for most of the week.