How are the Samsung 750 GB drives

Handruin

Administrator
Are you using them with a 3ware, or software raid? I was thinking of doing some basic software raid under server 2003 and use it as a basic windows file share/backup.

Handruin

Administrator
I have some of the 1TB version in software RAID-1 under Server 2003 R2. They are just normal drives to me...

Is the performance reasonable under software raid? I only need to backup 1-2 computers to it, so I don't think I need hardware raid for this.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Neither I think. Intel ICHR9 on the mobo. I believe that's a hardware solution. Mobo link

Acronis rescue disk only sees two separate hard drives when using Intel RAID. I would say it's software based. Plus there is no software monitoring from Intel to let you know if a hard drive dies.

Bozo :joker:

Stereodude

Not really a
Acronis rescue disk only sees two separate hard drives when using Intel RAID. I would say it's software based. Plus there is no software monitoring from Intel to let you know if a hard drive dies.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. There is definitely software monitoring of the array. I haven't tried Acronis on it, but I will when I get home to test it out. So far the best I can tell it acts just like my PATA hardware 3ware RAID card from a BIOS and software standpoint.

Stereodude

Not really a
That looks like a nice board. Do you like it so far? I'm looking to pick up possibly a Q9450 and need a good board for it.
No complaints so far.

Unless you're want to have DTS Connect support on the Mobo's integrated sound you might as well get the GA-EP35-DS3P instead though. Best I can tell it's the exact same mobo features wise (except for the heatpipe cooling solution being slightly different), but without DTS Connect. I wanted the DTS Connect feature, but didn't realize that the SPDIF output on the DS4 locked the sampling rate to 48kHz, whereas the DS3P version without it has an adjustable output sampling rate.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Ok, well I tried it. Acronis v11 doesn't see anything, which is what I would expect from a hardware RAID card.
Acronis sees every hardware RAID card I have tried it on. When I boot from the Acronis rescue CD, it shows two separate hard drives when they are connected to an Intel motherboard (Matrix) RAID 1 setup.
It shows only one drive (whether it is a RAID 0,1, or 5) when using a 3Ware card.

Stereodude

Not really a
Acronis sees every hardware RAID card I have tried it on. When I boot from the Acronis rescue CD, it shows two separate hard drives when they are connected to an Intel motherboard (Matrix) RAID 1 setup.
It shows only one drive (whether it is a RAID 0,1, or 5) when using a 3Ware card.
I booted from the boot CD and is doesn't show any HDs. :confused: FWIW It won't boot Acronis from a CD plugged into the SATA controller either, only from the IDE drive in the system. It starts the Acronis loader and then craps out.

Stereodude

Not really a

Ok, so I updated my version of Acronis to support my chipset. It see the Intel RAID-1 system as a hardware RAID array. It shows a single drive, not two drives.