How do you get rid of the stupid Macromedia Flash pop-up?

Handruin

Administrator
Fushigi said:
I see Merc's avatar just fine. jtr's, though, doesn't show.

I could host a few avatars for people if needed; I barely use my domain for anything other than email.

- Fushigi

I copied over all avatars from the move. If you still have a copy, upload it again. I've enabled SF to host avatars to any member. Just go into your profile section and upload your avatar. Just make sure it follows the 80x80 guidelines and is under 6KB.

Look through the gallery and see if your avatar shows under the "users" folder. If not, I don't know why it is gone because I copied the entire phpBB folder before moving.

Handruin

Administrator
jtr1962 said:
I just resubmitted my avatar. Hopefully it should appear OK now.

I just looked through my backup of the directory backup I made before the move, and your avatar was there. Somehow they are being overwritten because, when I uploaded your new one, my avatar is now gone...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
just read the thread and damn if honold and SteveC aren't clever b*st*rds :mrgrn: (the mail addy's)

Hope I never get on your bad sides ;)

Handruin

Administrator
The comments are the funniest part of that article. I didn't read all of the comments, but the majority made fun of the author for disliking flash. In an odd sort of way the comments proved the article's point.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I found this comment on that site Tea linked to particularly disturbing:

Some people are seriously talking about HTML being replaced, not by XHTML or some other acronym, but with Flash. You heard right. The entire web. In Flash.

If that ever comes to pass, I think I'll just cancel my Internet service. :( All the bad points about Flash that the author alludes to are so true. Anything that Flash can do HTML and animated GIFs can do as well or better. I just don't see the point of it.

Handruin

Administrator
jtr1962 said:

Some people are seriously talking about HTML being replaced, not by XHTML or some other acronym, but with Flash. You heard right. The entire web. In Flash.

If that ever comes to pass, I think I'll just cancel my Internet service. :( All the bad points about Flash that the author alludes to are so true. Anything that Flash can do HTML and animated GIFs can do as well or better. I just don't see the point of it.

I don't see how that could happen. Flash is a proprietary system and has a large cost associated to it. I too, would cancel my Internet account if everything had to be created in flash. I hope that if it ever comes to that point, a better system will be developed to take its place.

At some point in my life I may revisit flash and try to create a site that is transparently fluent with flash or basic html. I'll admit that it is fun to see some flash enabled sites from time to time, but from a moral standpoint, I don't believe in using flash for business or anything important. Granted that is highly subjective and simplistic, but overall I like to keep things simple and fair amongst all users of the Internet.

Handruin

Administrator
jtr1962 said:

I don't see how that could happen. Flash is a proprietary system and has a large cost associated to it. I too, would cancel my Internet account if everything had to be created in flash. I hope that if it ever comes to that point, a better system will be developed to take its place.

At some point in my life I may revisit flash and try to create a site that is transparently fluent with flash or basic html. I'll admit that it is fun to see some flash enabled sites from time to time, but from a moral standpoint, I don't believe in using flash for business or anything important. Granted that is highly subjective and simplistic, but overall I like to keep things simple and fair amongst all users of the Internet.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Macromedia is in the business to make money. So is microsoft. You can bet that if microsoft had been the company that developed HTML, we'd be paying $99 for our license to use notepad to make web pages.

(SGML, the basis for HTML, incidently, grew out of IBM's need for a standard documentation format in the 60s. Berners-Lee just added on a few concepts, like the link and the anchor, and the result was the web page).

Talk of next-generation formats for internet documents frightens me. Why? We have Adobe, with .PDF. Adobe would love to make the case that PDF is a successor to HTML, since it offers incredible control over layout and offers features like linking... except that PDF is computationally expensive to display, it's a binary format, and it's semiproprietary.

Macromedia has flash. Same as PDF, only entirely proprietary and VERY difficult to manipulate (don't think I can do anything but view Flash).

... and then of course there are the billion different XML specs. The problem here is that everyone wants to write a proprietary but essential data type that would force everyone into THEIR standard, which they would control.

Net effect: Nothing happens, and we're as stuck with HTML as with ASCII.

The other sad thing that I see is that VERY little progress has been made in developing internet standards since the corporate world became interested in the concepts related to internet standards. Sure, we get standards (CSS is a good one), but considering how basic some of this stuff is, it needs to be RESOLVED. "Letting the market take care of it" didn't work. How many different IM clients are out there? How many streaming multimedia packages?
All the great, important decisions that make up the internet were made by engineers, back when corporations didn't have "internet strategies".

Sigh. Sometimes it's just frustrating to realize the sheer idiocy of what's involved in making all this stuff work.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Re: How do you get rid of the stupid Macromedia Flash pop-up

Tannin said:
PS: I also HATE Macromedia!!!

Being that you also hate IE and Microsoft, you'll probably hate Microsoft even more -- possibly -- in several months.

The scuttlebutt on the street for several weeks now is that Microsoft has been interested in buying Macromedia. There are several reasons, with the main reason being that Flash is a Java competitor / substitute and the second reason being that Macromedia is simply a good buy at the moment since revenues are flat there and don't look to recover anytime soon, making a buyout appealing to Macromedia shareholders.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmm I wonder if that means that the price of Dreamweaver etc wil be dropping when MS aquires it and perhaps rebrands it as Frontpage 2003?

Handruin

Administrator
Pradeep said:
Hmm I wonder if that means that the price of Dreamweaver etc wil be dropping when MS aquires it and perhaps rebrands it as Frontpage 2003?

Some how they will have to sneak in their front page extensions... :roll:

e_dawg

Storage Freak

jtr1962 said:
To make things worse, the stupid pop-up box has no way of telling it "No, I'm not interested in installing this, please don't show me this again". No, it insists every time I open a page with a Flash ad on asking me if I want to install Flash 6. I thought this type of pestering was supposed to be illegal(or should be). I'm at the end of my rope...

You mean this box?

flash_iod.gif

I found a way to disable this incessant pestering to install Flash on the net.

Add the following lines to your \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

Code:
0.0.0.0 download.macromedia.com 
0.0.0.0 activex.microsoft.com 
0.0.0.0 active.macromedia.com

Shut down and restart your browser. Voila.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Without Macromedia many sites are unviewable. I don't see what the big deal is if you are on a high speed connection.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
timwhit said:
Without Macromedia many sites are unviewable. I don't see what the big deal is if you are on a high speed connection.

That is exactly the big deal, Tim. Why the hell should I have to download and inztall that Flash crap just to be able to use the net?

PS: Nice tip: thanks, E_Dawg!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Any site that makes someone use Flash should be de-peered from the rest of the internet. Those sites, and AOL can go off and start their own network. They can it "DebilitatingBrainInjuryNet" or something, and let those of us gifted with slighly-greater-than-room-temperature IQs have something good in our lives, for once.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Any site that makes someone use Flash should be de-peered from the rest of the internet. Those sites, and AOL can go off and start their own network. They can it "DebilitatingBrainInjuryNet" or something, and let those of us gifted with slighly-greater-than-room-temperature IQs have something good in our lives, for once.

Ya, but the problem with that mindset is that the sites that use flash will never listen to you and therefore you won't get to see their content. However annoying a flash laden site is there is still some god content out there that uses flash, and I want to see it.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
Ya, but the problem with that mindset is that the sites that use flash will never listen to you and therefore you won't get to see their content. However annoying a flash laden site is there is still some god content out there that uses flash, and I want to see it.

That should say 'good'. Damn the first typo I have ever made, what is the world coming to?

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
There are some great uses of flash around, mostly artistic rather than commerce, and I guess god content would be important to see too, but the ads that make up most flash content drive me nuts.

I'm currently using mozilla without flash (or cookies, or ad images, or popups) to view most sites, and ie with flash (and ad images and cookies and popups and....) for the sites I visit that require it. I don't use Adsubtract anymore since mozilla does the same things. I just have to figure out what happened to popup filtering at home. Moz 1.2b had it, but it's not in whatever I installed at home (1.2.1?), and I haven't been bothered to sort it out yet.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!

e_dawg said:
I found a way to disable this incessant pestering to install Flash on the net.

Add the following lines to your \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

Code:
0.0.0.0 download.macromedia.com 
0.0.0.0 activex.microsoft.com 
0.0.0.0 active.macromedia.com

Shut down and restart your browser. Voila.

Excellent! This should be a part of every default Windows install. Thanks for the fix. :mrgrn: