How many computers do you have? and Why?

How many computers do you have running?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 6 or more

• Total voters

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Just wondering how many computers the average SF member has running right now. If you have several, why?

I have 3 running and another 1 is the family's.

AthlonXP 1700+ - Main box; Gaming, school, internet, DVD conversion, Photoshop
Athlon 800mHz - My mandrake server, mainly for me to learn linux
Intel 486 dx2 66mHz - My IIS webserver, hosts www.anime-jennie.com and tftzone.dns2go.com as well as my sigs, avatars, and various pics

Family computer:
Recently upgraded pIII 650mhz - A billion family uses

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I have three running and just today realised that I have enough parts for a fourth (sans monitor), does this count?

My box: T'bred 1900+ (unlocked) sample (currently 2200+ on 300MHz FSB), EPoX 8KHA+ (courtesy Tannin), 512MB Crucial DDR, TripleXXX GeForce 4 4200, WD 1000-SE

My wifes box (Graphic artist) she has her own because she can't stand me messing with "our" computer - Palomino 1600+, Iwill KA266, 512MB Crucial DDR, Hercules GeForce2 GTS Pro 64MB, 40Gb IBM 60GXP.

Server T'bird AXIA 1GHz @ 1.4GHz, EPoX 8K7A+, 256MB Crucial DDR, CL GeForce Pro, 15GB IBM 75GXP (boot) & 30GB WDBB (data). This shares printers, has the CDRW etc. One stop backup mainly.

And today I realised I had enough parts to re-build my old Athlon Classic 550 that Tannin sold me 3 years or so ago. Or maybe I should sell the server and use the Athlon Classic, except its noisy with it's GlobalWin FTK32...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
What's an "über"?

That's ones I'm using. Well, actually I use about five. Tea uses the rest for her valiant-but-doomed-to-failure attempt to stay in front of Jake the Dog in the Folding Stakes. Oh, and occassionally is gracious enough to allow me to sell one every now and then to pay for the power bill.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Just 2 right now. I have the parts for 2 more, but I'm missing the cases and power supplies. I'll probably build one of them into a file server once the large SATA drives finally come out.

Steve

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ten, at the moment.

A notebook, for carrying around with me.
Three machines (linux) that are simply containers for the vast numbers of hard disks that I need.

A main Windows 2000 Server machine, where I do most of my surfing, a game machine (win98), an A/V computer (2000) that hasn't been used much in awhile.

An HP workstation (OpenBSD) that I use for a firewall. A main Linux computer where I do most of my emailing and word processing and other actual work-ish tasks. Finally, I have an old Sparc 20, that I haven't powered on for awhile, either.

I have enough parts to build a couple other computers, I think.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I have 4 machines total:

1) HP Vomit box at work--mostly for e-mail, web, documents.

2) XP-1800 at home - gaming, F@H crunching, Photoshop, general use

3) Frankenstein (PIII-800 Mhz SGI guts in a Dell case :) ) - Mandrake webserver

4) Celeron Dual Processor - currently just F@H crunching

soon to be 5!

5) Will be a cruncher/allow me to access my mail, etc. on my television downstairs (with the help of a video out card)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
1 to 3, depending on how you view things.

1. My PC is a T-bird 1.4GHz with W2KSP2, 256MB PC2100, GF2GTS, X15, 10K2.
2. My wife's PC is my old Athlon Classic 800MHz with W98, 512MB PC133, GF DDR, DeskStar 22GXP (early IBM 7200RPM).
3. My notebook, provided by work, is a Dell Latitude with a P4M 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, GF4 440, 40GB Hitachi HD.

1 & 3 are in volved in my Folding efforts.

- Fushigi

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
One machine. But I have zillions of peripherals hooked on. I am a multimedia maniac. I have almost everything in that regard! :)

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
I voted one because that is all I use.

I do have a laptop that I used to use for work stuff but it is in a box with my computer books.
I also have the remains of two other computers.

There is also the parts for the new one for my dad that I'm slowly collecting.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
2 but I voted 3 by mistake :(

An XP1800+/512mb and a P3-733/256mb

The XP is my main machine and the P3 is an HP E-PC that site quietly in the corner doing websharing and various other things when needed.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
4. 3 used for F@h. 1 is in exile and used by a relative.

Win2K for 2 boxes.
WinMe for the one in exile.
Mandrake 9 for the last and older one.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i didn't know what to vote. at any one time i have 3-5 pc's. i'm always changing by selling and upgrading. i build a fair few pc's for others and generally end up with p3/older duron/athlons and previous generation parts out of it. almost always i will have a machine with the latest and greatest CPU and vid card. i used to be storage speed mad but i've settled down on that since modern 7200 ide's server me well enough.

i keep a main fileserver which is a p3/550 with 256mb ram & 40gb storage.

i have a toshiba lappy provided by work, it gets updated once a year, although i've had my current one for nearly 16 months.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I normally have 4 machines
P3-500 as a domain controller, file server
P2-266 - client/workstation
dual athlon -1900MP's as a client/workstation
P3-500 as a HW/SW test machine

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
6+1

Let's see.
Main machine is Athlon 1.4 ghz.
Mine.
Also have 333 mhz mac running off the same monitor to do email, and use while the Athlon is checking it's 4 raided disks for virus.

Two laptops, one Mac Lombard with Jaguar, and OS 922. Another
"Toughbook" from Panasonic, CF-37.

Main work computer for attorney is a Dell 400 P2 with networking, quantum LM, and zip drive for backup.
Another is a vomit box, emachine, that sucks(I did NOT
buy it) running win 98.

Backup for when the above eats the dust, P3 450 MHZ, with 512 mb of ram, quantum LM hard drive, and Toshiba box, gigabyte motherboard. I may go get this, and install the new distros of Linux I installed, but, it runs so well with 2000, I've had a real hard time going in and screwing up a perfectly good install of an os I really like.

Main reason I have them is I can't get enough money to justify selling any of them. Replacement costs are too high right now, and the outlay of cash for many of them was way to high.

Depreciation with computers is a major problem.

The funny part is the older computers are better served by installing scsi drives, then buying an ide card, like a Promise card, and installing a new ide drive.

The ide drives STILL have not managed to come up with a drive that really blows the doors off the Quantum LM, in access times.
Not to mention the problem of having a drive capable of flooding the ide channels on the motherboards.

The existing chipsets on the mac, give 16 mb a sec, the Dell is 33 but only able to use one drive on the master channel,
and the Toshiba is the same.

I just can't make myself go out and buy a drive and card, for ide, when I can, for a bit more money, buy a scsi drive with a 5 year warranty, a scsi card, and cable, that are likely to last easily 3 the lifetime of an ide drive.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
By the way, our computer at school is a 1.7 gig Compaq, with 256 mb of ram, and, it's considerably slower then the majority of the machines I work with, because, most of em have scsi drives, and cheetahs.
s

Vlad The Impaler

I have a P4 2.4B at home.

I also have a Tyan dual PIII 1ghz mobo with 1GB ECC SDRAM knocking around. I am toying with the idea of building a sytem, but I have a definite dose of can't-be-arseditis. I may sell it.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Santilli said:
By the way, our computer at school is a 1.7 gig Compaq, with 256 mb of ram, and, it's considerably slower then the majority of the machines I work with, because, most of em have scsi drives, and cheetahs.
s

You should see my computer at work. An HP e-PC with a 650-700 MHz P3, but with 128 MB RAM and a 4400 rpm Quantum lct15 hard drive. So not only is the small amount of RAM causing excessive swapping, but the hard drive is so slow that it further exaggerates this problem. I was pulling my hair out for the first few days before I was able to get Administrator rights for my username, tweak the heck out of my W2k config, and remove tons of crap that was clogging up things.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
E_dawg: I feel your pain :wink:

That's how I feel about the emachine one of the partners bought. I backed it up with a gigabyte based toshiba, with a Quantum LM, 512 mb of ram, and a P3 450mhz. It's actually a nice, quick machine, running 2000.

s