problem How to acquire full control of a hard drive, via the permissions security feature

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
I mistakenly messed with the permissions of the 250 GB SATA drive in my desktop pc which I use for data backup, and now I can't open some of it's folders and sub-folders. The error message is "you don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." My ultimate goal is to have full control of everything on the drive, sharing the entire drive with my two wireless network laptops.

I'm sure the solution is right under my nose.

apairofpcs

Which OS is it?
The drive in question has two partitions. The first one has Win XP on it. It may not be bootable. The second one is not bootable. The OS on my desktop is Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I use Windows Explorer to navigate through the devices in the desktop pc.

Note that everything was working fine until I played with one of the 2nd partition's folders, with the goal being to share it with my wireless network.

apairofpcs

Problem solved, I'm not sure what I did, but it worked. My network sharing problem has also been solved. I'm a happy camper.

Of all the threads I started requesting advice on a problem, this one has lasted the shortest amount of time from original post to solution, 1:13 hr.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Can't you just take ownership (as an administrator) of the folders and files then assign permissions as needed?

As an emergency method you can try backing everything up using a Microsoft backup program then restore it to somewhere else (do not restore it back to the same place) which effectively gets rid of all the SID's to everything restored.

apairofpcs

Can't you just take ownership (as an administrator) of the folders and files then assign permissions as needed?

As an emergency method you can try backing everything up using a Microsoft backup program then restore it to somewhere else (do not restore it back to the same place) which effectively gets rid of all the SID's to everything restored.
I recall that taking ownership is what solved my problem. Since I'm the only user on my wireless network, I allow "Everyone" ( meaning "ME" ) to have full access to the folders and files shared by the three pcs.

Well everything is working as it did before I started getting frisky. Thanks for your input.