How to backup a Mac to Thumbdrive?

ddrueding

Fixture
One of my clients uses nothing but Macs, even their server is an iMac. I have 7 USB thumbdrives, one for every day of the week, that I want to set up overnight backups to. That way, any- (or every-)one can check that the correct drive is connected before it does a backup that night. I could do this on a PC, but I have no idea how on OSX.

ddrueding

Fixture
Open a terminal window and use tar and gzip + cron like a normal person?

This client is ~150 miles away and has no in-house tech. I'm hoping to make it as bullet-proof as possible. Besides, I know not these programs you speak of, my Linux learning project got sidetracked...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Drive there. Go fast. It'll be fun. Plus, consulting clients like to pay for travel. Honest.

Anyway, it kind of doesn't matter what you set up. You are going to have to be on-site to tell them how to deal with it. There's tons of examples for how to set up backups with tar, and tons more for how to schedule tasks with cron. Those programs work the same way no matter what system they're using (well, they do now. tar used to have issues on OSX.)

The alternative is a commercial program like Retrospect, but you still have to be there to set it up properly. Never in the history of time has a consulting client been able to correctly install, schedule and maintain backups without the watchful eye of a clueful IT guy.

I'm dealing with a guy right now who refuses to accept the now-standard "Daily full backup on a large USB drive that you can take home" because he doesn't like the "take home" part. He won't use tapes since he's had disasters with two different tape backup systems (the tapes probably wore out since I doubt he had more than he needed to do his backup). He wants to back up 250GB of data from his $20,000 worth of servers over a 256k upstream cable connection to his 384k home DSL service to USB drives conveniently already attached to his home PC (the one his kids use. With Limewire pre-installed. And a screensaver from Freeze.com). He does not understand why a vein in my forehead starts throbbing every time we discuss this.

ddrueding

Fixture
I just need them to be able to verify the backups.

Your client needs a TeraStation at home and upgraded internet connections. The FTP server built-in should provide adequate security for the backup, and it would be separate from the kiddie-killer.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc,
You should look into online backup solutions. Unless he make a lot of changes in a day to big files his connection speed won't matter. You can even sing up as a reseller.