How to identify WD400BB with one platter.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks to new member Bwm, who asked Western Digital for a way to differenciate the older 2 platters WD400BB from the newer 1 platter WD400BB.

In his comment for the news concerning lower capacity Special Edition 7200rpm WD hard drive on the front page, Bwm wrote :
The "D" following the "XX" in the following sample model number string WD provided identifies the single platter version:

WD400BB-xxDEA0
So no more need to go to your local airport to pass your hard drives in the x-ray machine :mrgrn:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just as a note, the D does not directly identify a 40 GB-per-platter drive. The D and the E specify a particular family. It just so happens that DE is one of the families sporting the 40 GB-per-platter areal density.

BWM

What is this storage?
Buck,

Here is the exact response I got from WD support on this, pasted directly into this post:

Hello Brad,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital.

You can tell if the drive has 40 GB per platter by looking at the tenth character in the model number. An example; WD400BB-XXDEA0, the "WD400BB" indicates the drive is a 40 GB 7200 RPM drive, the "XX"
can be any combination of numbers and is not important, the "D" would indicate the drive is a 40 GB per platter.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Regards,

Steve W.
Customer Service and Support
Western Digital
http://www.wdc.com

-----------------

I take that to mean that only that one "D", the one in the tenth character position, is enough to identify a WD400BB as having a single 40 gig platter, and thus characters 11 and beyone have no bearing on this one issue.

If this is incorrect, please explain in detail, as I'm sure that many folks would love to know if there is more to it than what WD has told me. Of course this may soon be a moot point given that WD has also told me point blank that a WD400JB is in fact in the works.

Brad

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Thanks for the post BWM. I'm quite familiar with WD's response and model numbering scheme. Having purchased plenty of WD product and being a SelectWD Reseller, I've learned a bit about their new ways.

BR

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
BWM said:
Are you saying it must be "DE" instead of just "D"? Please expand in detail.

Brad

From what I can pull out of WD, and gather from their RMA printouts, DE would be a particular family, just like CX or CP. The newer family sports the newer areal density.

BR

BWM

What is this storage?
Thanks for following up with me, Buck. Please excuse my being so dogged on this issue. Old engineers have a habit of getting this way with time. I do not have the insight or quantitive experience that you do and I think the question that I and quite possibly many others still need a precise answer to is, is the "D" in the tenth character position alone enough to peg a WD400BB as having a 40 gig platter? One could make the assumption from WD's response that it is. Thanks again.....

Brad

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
BWM said:
Thanks for following up with me, Buck. Please excuse my being so dogged on this issue. Old engineers have a habit of getting this way with time. I do not have the insight or quantitive experience that you do and I think the question that I and quite possibly many others still need a precise answer to is, is the "D" in the tenth character position alone enough to peg a WD400BB as having a 40 gig platter? One could make the assumption from WD's response that it is. Thanks again.....

Brad
In general, the letter "D" cannot be used as a single identifier for an areal density. As time progresses, and new areal densities are ramped, a DZ family (for example) may have 60 GB per platter, thus nullifying the absolute with which you may read the WD email.

However, knowing the areal density that WD is at, knowing that the product in question is a WD400BB, and knowing the recent families, the answer provided by the WD agent is accurate, but not all inclusive for future use.

BR

BWM

What is this storage?
Thank you. I think that answers the most pressing question that needs to be dealt with at the moment.

Regards.....

BWM

What is this storage?
Why edit your post(s)? I very much appreciate you taking the time to entertain the matter and unless I misunderstood something you have said, I believe you have answered the question appropriately in the context of the present time. I hope that I have not read something into this that is flat wrong, ie the "D", alone, and for the present, denoting a single 40 gig platter in a WD400BB. Naturally, everything after that is subject to change without notice. :D

Thanks again

Brad

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Through my laconic speech, I typed: “...thus nullifying the absolute with which you may read the WD email.” Instead, I should have written: “...thus nullifying the absolute understanding with which you may have read the Western Digital email.” I get hurried at times; Tannin and others do much better at impromptu writing.

But I'm glad you appreciated the answer.

BR