How to make a page load slower?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Huh? Why would any sensible ape want to do this?

Well, because it would be nice to see how a page performs, loading speed wise, from the point of view of a visitor on a slow ADSL connection or on dial-up. Also, to have a clearer idea of what it looks like while it's loading - some pages you see around the traps look just fine when they have finished, but are really yuk for the second or two it takes to load them.

Obviously, I could upload them to a server, clear my cache, pull out my network cable, and dial in to have a look at them .... well, I could if I still had a dial-up account, which I don't. But that is just too painful.

Anyone know if there is an easy way to simulate a slow connection? Probably not worth doing if it isn't easy.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
One of the external links from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping maybe?

Incidently, I had this bookmarked for some reason. After seeing your request I looked for it. After finding it, I read it. After scanning/reaading it, I don't think it would interest you ... doesn't really interest me either (I can't even recall why I even bookmarked it to begin with :dunno: )

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Get yourself a regular phone modem and use one of the many free dial-up ISP's. Then don't forget to fill your machine with spyware. But then again, if you are using one of the free dial-up ISP's then you've already installed a bunch of spyware ....

Handruin

Administrator
Does the free version of vmware server have traffic shaping? If so, you can limit a VM to a small amount of network speed and browse websites through a VM. I should add that ESX server has this functionality, so the free version might have it.