How to password protect the internet

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there a program you can run on your PC that will make it necessary to enter a password to gain internet access? Access to IM would probably be OK but he'd be looking to block access to websites etc. I'm looking for a *free* solution. A relative is having some problems with kids getting on the 'net when he's not around.

Thanks,
C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Unfortunately there is no router and my relative will not be savvy enough to work with one and open it up whenever he wants too.

Ideally, there would be some background service I could have him run that will prompt for a password before the browser will access the internet (like a locally run proxy). That way, all he'll have to know to access the internet is a password (for each firefox browser session).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Off the top of my head...

Set up a proxy server that requires authentication.

Put them on a subnet with no immediate internet access. Make them use a VPN that authenticates off a RADIUS server with some access rules. This would require Linux hacking but is kind of an awesome learning project anyway.

Buy a copy of Webroot Child Safe for $20, or use the very crappy free product from RSAC to greatly decrease what content can be viewed.

Install Vista. Use parental controls.

Use a Netgear router with its limited parental controls.

Put sites you don't want the person to visit in /etc/hosts as 127.0.0.1 entries.

On an NTFS system: Deny the a non-administrator user access to the IE/Firefox *shortcuts*. They can still do "Run As" which is functionally what you're talking about.

Define a security policy that removes user access to IE.

Set up WPA on a WLAN and don't tell them the password or allow automatic connections.

Manually set the default gateway on that single PC to something bogus, and only set it back when you can supervise.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Cable modem. I appreciate your feedback on this...

ddrueding

Fixture
All of Merc's are great technical solutions. For a less technical solution, take the power brick for the modem with you. Wire it so that it is in a convenient location, and just remove it.