How to Windows SoftRAID USB drives?

ddrueding

Fixture
I know this is a bad idea, but I have a need.

4 3TB USB drives in a RAID5 is what I'm after. The drives are already purchased and the user is having issues juggling data between them. Disk management isn't letting me at the moment.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You can make the drives non-removable and do it, but it's really not a good idea, since Windows will mark the drives as not responding at the drop of a hat. You'd do better with eSATA or Firewire.

I've played with it on Linux and found that something stupid like unplugging a thumb drive can cause enough of a disruption to drop member disks.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, wish the drives were eSATA. The only computer is a laptop with the drives and a USB hub sitting on a shelf. Not sure if the laptop even has eSATA actually. Perhaps gutting the drives, getting one of these and then connecting via USB?

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I'd at least look into adding an eSATA ExpressCard with that enclosure. IIRC, some cards offer port multiplier support so that the user can see all drives at once. You might be able to semi-reliably set up a Windows RAID 5 that way...
(9TB or 12TB on a USB connection - hope that user has infinite patience ;-) )

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd at least look into adding an eSATA ExpressCard with that enclosure. IIRC, some cards offer port multiplier support so that the user can see all drives at once. You might be able to semi-reliably set up a Windows RAID 5 that way...
(9TB or 12TB on a USB connection - hope that user has infinite patience ;-) )

Single user, dealing with a small amount of data at a time. Should be fine.