HP Proliant ML350 G6 upgrade

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We've inherited an HP Proliant ML350 G6 at the office. It only has a single modest Xeon E5620 inside and 8GB of RAM. I'm trying to find parts to upgrade it. Although a new processor pair and RAM are relatively easy to find on eBay, it is surprisingly hard to find a heatsink for this particular server. The only one I've found so far has its current owner asking 100$ for it. No thanks.

Hard drives for this server aren't cheap either, but I don't need much storage space for its intended use.

We've already bought an Open license Windows Server 2012 for it. It will be easily transferable in the event that the server fails. The G6 generation of HP Proliant are especially reliable though, so there's a good chance it will last several years.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't think the Dynatron heatsink would be enough. The fans inside the ML350 G6 are much slower than the 40mm fans inside a typical 1U server. The air pressure for the flow that would go into an heatsink with a small surface like the Dynatron would therefore be much less. I've found another place where I could grab the heatsink for ~50$, so that's much more acceptable.

We also have another ML350 G6 using Windows Server 2003 that we should retire in a couple of months, so maybe I'll take the heatsink there instead of buying one.

Thanks for taking the time to look for a comptible heatsink BTW. However, if you've never owned an ML350 G6, you won't have the right heatsink. Take a look:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 508876-001.jpg
    508876-001.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 20