HTPC and HD and 1080 system requirements?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I've been trying to run this site:

http://www.cbs.com/hd/video.php?cid...HLREJdJM6o0&play=true&offset=4&show=csi_miami

in HD it's running about 83-100% of the processor. It's ok, seems to be pretty good.

When I try and run at 1080p it runs at pretty much 100% processor the entire time. It's also like a slideshow, even with the small screen.

I'm using the Sparkle 2 gig 9600GT, Firefox 3.5.2, and a Samsung 2234 21.5" screen, set at 1920 x 1080, and, I can' seem to find a lesser setting that works.
Also the Explosion sound card, which seems to eat quite a bit of the processor all by itself.

Anyone tried such stuff, and, if so, what are the system requirements you are running? Is this really processor limited function, and, if so, how fast a processor are you using to play at 1080p, full screen?

Thanks
GS

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have no idea what CBS is using for its video but it's probably h.264 in a .FLV container. The Geforce 9600 may or may not support hardware decode of h.264. If it didn't, that would certainly explain your CPU utilization.

Updated nVidia drivers might also be helpful.

Also I have no idea why anyone would watch anything on CBS.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It appears to be a software problem. Neither Firefox 3.5.2 or Internet Explorer 8 are capable of playing a downloaded 1080p file from MSFT's website.
I'm using the 1080p version of Step into Liquid, and, it plays fine with Windows Media Player classic, slide shows with Firefox, Internet Explorer 8 defaults to Windows Media Player 11, which uses 100% processor and slideshows.

Windows Media Player classic 6.4.9.1 build 89 plays it flawlessly, with about 50% processor on this machine.
VlC Media player, 100% and not very good.
Power DVD 5 also plays it well with 50% cpu utilization.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I haven't tried it, but in Firefox, do Tool - Options - Applications tab and wait a moment for the tab to populate. Scroll the the appropriate media type & change it to use WMP Classic.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What type of media is this?

It's playing reasonably well on the Dual Xeon box, with ATI 1650. Using between 75% and 99% processors. Appears Ad Blocker was using quite a bit of CPU as well, and, it's better after removing it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
No problem here at 1080 in IE6 or FireFux 3.5. With a basic video card from 2006 CPU is <5%. I think it is some software issue. Are you using the lastest version of the Flash player?

ddrueding

Fixture
1. Make sure you have the latest display driver
2. Make sure you have the latest flash player

I'm having issues playing any 1080p content on my Q6600 with new ATI card, but the i7 with 250GTX works fine. Perhaps the newest ATI drivers are to blame?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What a fun morning. Newest flash player helped.
My 1650 now has the 9.3 driver, that shows up as an 8.59 driver on checking. Stupid and confusing numbering system.

I must say, everytime someone says change drivers with an ATI card, it's usually a pain in the arse, and, not a huge difference this time. First install didn't take. Second did.

Now the top cpu usage is around 60%, with HD. Don't know about 1080p, but, I think it should be fine. Ok, I'll try now...75 to 93%

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You should be installing a new version of flash every time you're prompted to anyway, since the semen-gargling morons at Adobe have a standing record of zero-day exploits in every new, patched version of Flash.