I hate Linux! (v. Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS + RAID-1 + Encryption + LVM)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
WOW!
I feel your pain.
Ubuntu has installed on a couple laptops, and been useable.

That said, I REALLY wonder why you don't go with a hardware raid card?

I'm pretty sure the card I paid 75 bucks for, 9500, IIRC, 8 ports, would do in about 5 minutes what you are trying to do, but, I'm not sure about setting up the multiple partitions? Why? Also, IIRC, the cards are supported in Linux...

Would just a mirror of the entire hard drive not work?

Stereodude

Not really a

I'm pretty sure the card I paid 75 bucks for, 9500, IIRC, 8 ports, would do in about 5 minutes what you are trying to do, but, I'm not sure about setting up the multiple partitions? Why? Also, IIRC, the cards are supported in Linux...

I'm not sure exactly how I'd put a hardware RAID card in a mini-ITX system with only a mini PCIe expansion slot, but if you figure it out. Let me know. :geek:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
WOW!
I feel your pain.
Ubuntu has installed on a couple laptops, and been useable.

Would someone explain the logic of having a swapfile on the same disk setup? Do you NEED a different partition for the swapfile?

Sorry I missed the motherboard/form factor issue. My bad.
Turned out to be a great thread on Linux distros, and history.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's just how Linux works. The swap partition has a different file system. However, unlike Windows, it seems that Linux doesn't actually use the swap area unless it runs out of RAM. I've yet to see my little server use any of it. Swap usage is always shown as 0 when I've checked it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thank you for reminding me of all the installs I did that didn't work;-).
It's coming back, sort of like a memory of a really painful breakup with a girl...

I will say an SSD makes the swapping much less painful in XP Pro...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you have enough RAM you can disable swap and remove the partition. I have 6GB of RAM on my Fedora box and I doubt I ever use any swap.