I have seen the light...and it's a 21" flat panel

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't worry, honold. Some of us read your posts. :)

Clcoker, perhaps that fuzziness you've noticed in your monitor is telling you it's time for another trip to the optometrist? :wink:

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Clocker said:
Do LCD Panels still suck for gaming and stuff like that?

C

In my opinion, yes. I've been keeping a close eye out for development of LCD's that have a fast enough pixel response time not to ghost in fast-movement games. Nothing I've seen yet is fits my needs.

*19" Viewable minimum

*16ms pixel response time and proven not to ghost in reviews
or
12ms pixel response time (not yet available)

Check out this thread at NVNews (Yes, I know this is largely a kiddie forum but there are a few good bits of info in that thread)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Which brands are considered good for LCD monitors?
I like SONY for design, but I've seen some pretty high response times, 20 to 30ms.

I also wonder when the technology of LCD (and derivatives) will completely make CRT monitors obsolete. In two years? Four? Eight?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Prof.Wizard said:
Which brands are considered good for LCD monitors?
I like SONY for design, but I've seen some pretty high response times, 20 to 30ms.

I also wonder when the technology of LCD (and derivatives) will completely make CRT monitors obsolete. In two years? Four? Eight?

I think Samsung and NEC/mistsubishi are highly regarded in both CRT and LCD monitors... When looking at LCDs, I don't think I saw a single Samsung with a dead pixel. The Samsung I ordered was flawless, I think this speaks something about the quality of them.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
NEC/Mitsubishi are high on my list too. And for CRTs. I have a NEC MultiSync FE750 and it got me from the first moment I looked upon it in the shop.
Also I believe the best image quality I've ever seen was on a high-end Mitsubishi DiamondTron monitor. That thing made EIZO run for its money.

But I was wondering about LCDs because of space. I want to decently watch a DVD on them and play a game like Half-Life. When will that be possible without the ghost effect?!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm still hoping for an alternative technology to rear its head. :roll:

When you consider how long it has taken LCD monitor technology just to get to the stage it's at now, it's hard not to conclude that it fundamentally sucks. A bit like the internal combustion engine, I guess - if you spend enough years refining it, you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Look at the ridiculous pricing of piddling 17" displays, and this with a glut of panels. Look at the inevitable stuck pixel issue.

Incredibly, we are replacing one technology where bigger screens cost exponentially more, with another that is even worse. Despite the logistics nightmare in manufacturing affordable 30" LCD TVs, manufacturers charge on regardless. I do wonder who's driving this market.

It's worth pointing out that IBM holds a patent on a CRT display that is just as flat as current LCD panels. I'm not trying to promote continued use of CRTs, but what about some research into alternatives that one day really could form an entire wall, and maybe even provide illumination for a room? LEDs are going great guns, and seem to be extremely reliable and robust - how about an array of them as a display? Or perhaps it's just that the LCD design or manufacturing techniques suck? Whatever. I can see I'll be waiting another twenty to thirty years for LCD technology to truly deliver on its promise. :(

[/pointless rant]

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Prof.Wizard said:
NEC/Mitsubishi are high on my list too. And for CRTs. I have a NEC MultiSync FE750 and it got me from the first moment I looked upon it in the shop.
Also I believe the best image quality I've ever seen was on a high-end Mitsubishi DiamondTron monitor. That thing made EIZO run for its money.

But I was wondering about LCDs because of space. I want to decently watch a DVD on them and play a game like Half-Life. When will that be possible without the ghost effect?!

I'll play some HL on a Samsung 172T in a day or so and see how well it works... for full motion video (~30fps) I think any current generation 17" LCD would be fine.. probably all 19" LCDs as well. It's the games that will get you... (I have played some games on the 172T, but not any 1st person shooters)

fool

Learning Storage Performance
time said:
I'm still hoping for an alternative technology to rear its head. :roll:

When you consider how long it has taken LCD monitor technology just to get to the stage it's at now, it's hard not to conclude that it fundamentally sucks. A bit like the internal combustion engine, I guess - if you spend enough years refining it, you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Look at the ridiculous pricing of piddling 17" displays, and this with a glut of panels. Look at the inevitable stuck pixel issue.

Incredibly, we are replacing one technology where bigger screens cost exponentially more, with another that is even worse. Despite the logistics nightmare in manufacturing affordable 30" LCD TVs, manufacturers charge on regardless. I do wonder who's driving this market.

It's worth pointing out that IBM holds a patent on a CRT display that is just as flat as current LCD panels. I'm not trying to promote continued use of CRTs, but what about some research into alternatives that one day really could form an entire wall, and maybe even provide illumination for a room? LEDs are going great guns, and seem to be extremely reliable and robust - how about an array of them as a display? Or perhaps it's just that the LCD design or manufacturing techniques suck? Whatever. I can see I'll be waiting another twenty to thirty years for LCD technology to truly deliver on its promise. :(

[/pointless rant]

One the one hand your quite right, its taking an age for LCDs to get good and cheap enough to make choosing one over a CRT a no brainer.

But CRTs have been being developed and refined for decades, they (or at least the good ones) really are the silk purse's made from sows ears.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
fool said:
One the one hand your quite right, its taking an age for LCDs to get good and cheap enough to make choosing one over a CRT a no brainer.
All things considered I think as prices fall and performances grow more and more people buy LCD monitors instead of CRT. The transition is faster in business enviroments and luxurious homes, but sooner or later power users and graphics professionals will be getting LCDs too.

I think that even if the quality doesn't reach CRT, my next PC will have a nice LCD screen complemented (and I go OT here) by a nice high-quality 2.1 speaker system. Enough with space-hungry CRTs and cables-everywhere 5.1s... Not only because I've grown up and play less with games (that will never stop :p ), but because I prefer ergonomics to sheer performance.