I heart FoxIt

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
$100 for a 1.7MB program that allows full PDF editing on Windows.

The Foxit Reader is 1.5MB, and unlike the almost gross incompetence of Adobe's products, it doesn't make web browsers misbehave. It doesn't constantly bug me for updates and although I don't know this for sure, I'll bet it's a lot less vulnerable to all the bullshit Javascript exploits that Acrobat has.

To sum up: It's cheap for a product with very high utility.
It doesn't suck suck system resources like a self-loathing Republican Senator sucks dicks in an airport men's restroom.
It works faster.
It works better.

Why the hell does anyone use Acrobat for anything?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use their reader at work. I have the newest version of Acrobat Professional though, so I use that for editing purposes. The newest version of Acrobat Professional is actually a bit improved from older version. Still not nearly as fast as FoxIt though.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Is this FoXIT only for the ediditaton of the PDF fiels, and cannto genrate PDFs at all?

Piyono

Storage is cool
The typewriter tool in Foxit Reader 2.1 is part of the "Advanced Feature Set" of Foxit PDF Editor whereas it's free in Adobe Reader 7.05 and up (although in Adobe Reader typewriter is available only when the author has enabled it for a given document). As well, Foxit Reader's typewriter tool doesn't have a leading adjustment, which translates into a lot more mouse clicks to reposition the cursor.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I too have fallen in love with Foxit Reader. But I've got one problem: I have an electronic copy of a textbook that I have legitimate access to, and the chapters are in PDF and can't be printed, saying "the security permission in this document prohibits printing." Is there an easy way around this?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
So Foxit Reader has been broken for months now (can't fill in forms), and version 5 that's supposed to fix everything is still in invitation-only beta with no indication whatsoever of when - if ever - it might be released.

Foxit recommend reverting to 4.0.something, which I have, but it breaks other things. They seem to be completely uninterested in issuing a patch.

How did it come to this? I'm guessing that Foxit is in financial difficulties, because this is a terminal situation. In three weeks, I'll have to start rolling out Adobe Acrobat. :boom:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's still NitroPDF and Sumatra. Chrome has a PDF reader built-in. I believe Firefox is moving in that direction as well. I'd rather go without a PDF reader than go back to Adobe.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Bringing this thread back, what non-Adobe app is best for creating PDFs today? Of chief importance is fine control of levels of embedded graphic quality (jpeg images) from low to high. It seems that some have low, middle and a then a huge gap to high. Thanks.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Are you talking one at a time or embedding a bunch of jpegs in a PDF document?

Which program(s) had the excessive difference between Middle and High?

Just trying to get a reference point for what you need.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
So Foxit Reader has been broken for months now (can't fill in forms) ...

I meant to correct this earlier. Foxit Reader 5 was released before my deadline and solves this problem. I have a possible intermittent problem when using it embedded in a browser, but I haven't researched that enough to make any further comment.

It's still massively more efficient than any of its competitors.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are you talking one at a time or embedding a bunch of jpegs in a PDF document?

Which program(s) had the excessive difference between Middle and High?

Just trying to get a reference point for what you need.

I just want to print various mixed text/image docs or web pages without having limited options as to the final file size. some of the random freeware/shareware I played with is not good for that or other reasons. My old Acrobat from 8+ years ago was fine for quality options, but I'm not about to buy a newer version for the user at the current price and with the bloat.