I need a mac equivalent to outlook...

ddrueding

Fixture
So here I am trying to organize my GFs business, struggling with her implementation of "Mail", "iCal", and "Address Book". "Screw this" I think, "let' just get her on Outlook". Outlook, with it's integrated calendar, contacts list, to do list, easy management of multiple email accounts, import/export from/to excel spreadsheets for her mailing lists.....etc.

So I go online to see if I can buy outlook for Mac as a standalone....latest version 2001? WTF? "Maybe it's just available as part of the office package..." Latest office package for mac is 2004...sweet....no outlook...Entourage? WTF?

Can anyone help me here? As you can tell from the very poor structure of the above post, I'm quite lost...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Entourage is the Macintosh equivalent of Outlook.

Why you would want to use either unless forced by an uncaring IT department, I don't know.

Personally, I suggest a personal organiser.

ddrueding

Fixture
A personal organiser? Like those made by palm or compaq? Portability isn't the issue, tying together callendar, to do, e-mail, and contacts are. I was seriously considering setting her up on MS Project, considering the number of items that need to be scheduled, and the interconnectedness/dependancies involved. (Also not available for Mac :roll: )

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You might want to start with a copy of VirtualPC and a Windows license. 8)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Let me get this straight: your girlfirend has chosen a Mac as her computing platform, and you want to inflict MS Outlook - and even MS Project - on her?

Given your last few threads, it sounds like you're trying to reorganize her life. Are you sure she will appreciate your efforts?

Seriously Dave, maybe you need to refocus a little.

ddrueding

Fixture
time said:
Let me get this straight: your girlfirend has chosen a Mac as her computing platform, and you want to inflict MS Outlook - and even MS Project - on her?

Given your last few threads, it sounds like you're trying to reorganize her life. Are you sure she will appreciate your efforts?

Seriously Dave, maybe you need to refocus a little.

She chose a macbecause she didn't know better, and their hardware does look more attractive. She asked me to help her on a number of projects that she had already started, I just gave her new ideas on how to do it. Her ideason home audio distribution involved a mini FM-transmitter and boomboxes, her plans for her inventory system involved 3.5" cards with poloroids of her work and handwritten notes, her business e-mail address was businessname@sbcglobal.net instead of firstname@businessname.com, and she had already hired someone to make her website (who turned out to be incompetent).

Honestly, I'm not trying to take over her life, I'm just sending some of my spare time/energy her way. Business has been pretty slow the last few months.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If she has a business, maybe it should hire you.

Also, keep in mind that her business is small. As an inventory system, notecards aren't entirely unintelligent.

ddrueding

Fixture
Her business is small, but when I asked her important questions, like:

How much did you sell this year?
What type of work was it?
Who did you sell it to?
How much inventory are you holding?
How much raw materiel are you holding?
What do you call this piece?
etc...

It should hire me, but the fringe benefits I'm currently recieving will do nicely ;)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You asked her for her accounting, which, in many cases, is irrelevant (as long as the books come out in the end). Unless she is going to expand rapidly or do some funny tax stuff, then it's not necessary.

It may be useful to setup a spreadsheet or simple database to keep track of this information for future use. I even went as far as helping a client setup QuickBooks for these purposes when she planning to expand her home business beyond a hobby and solicit investment. She didn't *need* such an inventory and accounting system for her business; it was for other people.

Keeping in mind that certain fringe benefits are illegal for you to receive as compensation, if you work for the business, it needs to hire you, whether you are paid or not.

You may want to obtain a copy of Nolo's The Small Business Start-Up Kit for California. I was able to get a free copy from some small business administration several years ago when working with the aforementioned client.